Sunday, October 16, 2016

X Factor UK 13: Top 11

Whew! No, I still think this season's a disaster, but I'm not going to lie and say that they didn't improve from last week because most of them did. I thought the performances, in general, were a lot better than last week and I felt like everyone already settled and nerves were almost gone.

The song choices were baffling though as most of them aren't Motown, but whatever. Oh, and Four of Diamonds replaced Brooks Way!

On with the show!

11. Honey G
Mo Money, Mo Problems
[OVERS]
Waste. Of. Time. 2

10. Ryan Lawrie
Superstition
[BOYS]
I loved the new look and somehow that gave him a lot of confidence, but like last week, his performance was incredibly underwhelming despite the choreography and whatnot. It's not bad, but when almost everyone stepped up their game from last week and you remained mediocre at best, you'll get lost in the shuffle. 5

09. Saara Aalto
River Deep, Mountain High
[OVERS]
This was unfortunate. Yes, her vocals were solid if a bit out of breath and shouty at times, but the whole thing came off a little too contrived for my taste. I don't think the staging and the vibe of the performance fit Saara's personality. Not her best work. 5.5

08. Four of Diamonds
You Keep Me Hanging On
[GROUPS]
For their first live performance, this was decent. But compared to the rest, Four of Diamond's version of You Keep Me Hanging On was lackluster. I don't know what it was - maybe the creative decision to sing in duets instead of having memorable solos? - but I just didn't think the performance worked in their favor. 6

07. Emily Middlemass
Stop.. In The Name of Love
[GIRLS]
Emily has a distinct sound with great musicality, but that was lost since she stepped into the live shows. Simon has no idea how to mentor her. Sure, the arrangement played to Emily's strengths as a vocalist, but it went nowhere. It was lacking power and climax. She should go back to her guitar or she'll be going home earlier than expected. 6.5

06. Freddy Parker
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
[BOYS]
This was a lot better than last week! Initially, I didn't think Freddy was strong of a vocalist to deliver  a song as big as Ain't No Mountain High Enough, but he actually sounded good. Those little melodic choices towards the end were great, I thought he looked like he's enjoying, and his pitch was consistent despite running around the stage. Was this enough to keep him from the Bottom 3? I'm not sure, but I'm hoping. 6.5

05. Gifty Louise
Rockin' Robin
[GIRLS]
I was a little unsure of the acapella at the beginning, but as soon as she let out the sass in her performance, Gifty was firing all cylinders. There's a muscular power in her delivery, her vocals were good, and she worked the stage like no other. If only it wasn't Rockin' Robin. Haha. I thought Simon hated this song? 7

04. Sam Lavery
Hello
[GIRLS]
Sam's version of Hello was a lot more controlled vocally than the mess that was Impossible from last week and I enjoyed how she infused her innate textured tone towards the end of the song. She actually reminds me a bit of Demi Lovato in a good way. 7

03. Relley C
Ain't No Sunshine
[OVERS]
Relley C was hardly original, but I can't fault her stellar vocals. Just like last week, she laid it all out as if she was fighting for that spot. I like fighters and while she's probably the most annoyingly predictable contestant this season, she deserves another week. 7.5

02. 5 After Midnight
Get Ready / Reach Out / I'll Be There
[GROUPS]
I've never been a fan of this group - I just feel completely underwhelmed with their performances - but this was their best number to date. The mash-up was brilliant as it showcased their voices individually as well as their solid harmonies, and the choreography was a nice little touch. It came off a bit corny, but I digress. 8

01. Matt Terry
I Heard It Through The Grapevine
[BOYS]
Not going to lie, I didn't like the song choice at first, but Matt breathe new life to the song. The liberties he took with the melody was inspired and informed, his song fit incredibly well with his vocal sweet spot, his runs were precise, there's palpable connection to the song, and the charisma was oozing. Frontrunner, anyone? 8.5


WHO SHOULD GO HOME?
Honey G

WHO WILL GO HOME?
Ryan Lawrie

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...