Sunday, July 15, 2012

Idol News: Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler Are Leaving American Idol

Two years ago, I blogged about the new judging panel for American Idol Season 10. Now, both Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler are leaving the show for good.

It started when FOX confirmed last July 12, 2012 Steven Tyler's departure from American Idol.
"After some long, hard thoughts. I’ve decided it’s time for me to let go of my mistress American Idol before she boils my rabbit. I strayed from my first love, AEROSMITH, and I’m back – but instead of begging on my hands and knees, I’ve got two fists in the air and I’m kicking the door open with my band. The next few years are going to be dedicated to kicking some serious ass – the ultimate in auditory takeover. On Nov. 6, we are unleashing our new album, Music from Another Dimension on the Earth, Moon, Mars, and way beyond the stars. Idol was over-the-top fun, and I loved every minute of it. Now it’s time to bring ROCK back. ERMAHGERD."
Jennifer Lopez followed suit a day after and announced that she's also leaving the show during an interview with Ryan Seacrest on his morning radio show.
"I have my movies and my music, but it gets more complicated. As the kids get bigger. Something has to give. I think, that’s where I am right now. I could just keep doing Idol for the rest of my life, but that would be giving up a bunch of things. We had an amazing run." She then added, "The time has come".
As for Randy Jackson? According to US Weekly, Randy Jackson maybe relegated to a mentor position.
"Randy Jackson is also making a big move -- with plans to leave the judges' panel but remain involved with a mentoring role on the show."
My thoughts? Too happy I had goosies. Haha. Both had great moments, but both JLo and Steven were terrible judges. By turns, they were either useless, an obvious mouthpiece for the producers, or randomly kind of mean for no reason. Good thing, Steven brought some lulz here and there, but that's about it. They were paid tons of money AND got to use American Idol to promote their music and yet they didn't do their jobs as judges instead were mere cheerleaders.  Sure, they brought buzz to the show, but they absolutely would not judge.

Oh, and sadly, with this latest development, American Idol now became a "Celebrity Career Rehab". Arguably, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler revived their moribund music careers and increased their profile overall. It's like "I've gotten everything I need - I'm gone."

But enough of that because now, American Idol has a golden opportunity to bring in a panel that does not necessarily have something to pimp for themselves, but once and for all make it about the contestants. Glue the new panel to the seats to alleviate the over usage of standing ovations. I just hope the show's creator and producers don't screw with their winning formula in the name of change.

As for you Jennifer and Steven, good riddance!

1 comments:

Iain said...

Who do you think should replace them? There's been speculation of people like Mariah Carey, but the best one I've heard is Charlie Sheen - wouldn't that just be golden? Admittedly, if he did get the job the show would probably be an absolute joke, but still!
Personally, I'd love to see Jimmy Iovine on the panel, though I do like his meeting with each individual contestant every week. People obviously know who he is since he's already a big part of the show anyway, so why not promote him to judge?
I'm praying they don't steer towards the big names again, why not go for someone who isn't outdated like JLO or Steven like The Voice did, eg Bruno Mars, Gotye, Katy Perry, P!NK, Jessie J (who was great on the Voice UK) Mat Kearney, Ryan Tedder, Taylor Swift etc.
That, or someone with a personality, like when they had Ellen DeGeneres, - why not Charlie Sheen? Or others, eg. Will Smith, Zooey Deschanel, Jack Black, Matt Bomer, Zachary Levi...
I just hope they don't f*ck this one up!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...