Thursday, September 23, 2010

Idol News: Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler as the new judging panel!

It's official! Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler are the new judges for American Idol Season 10! What a surprise!!! *rolls eyes*

Yes, this announcement was definitely anti-climactic. I mean, rumors - even confirmations - were all over the place and this wasn't in any way something shocking. Is this even necessary?

Well, if nothing else, this press conference will give the viewers some idea on how they’ll work together. I mean, it could be pretty clear already from that who will take which role - this panel, to me, has basically no chance if Randy doesn’t step up and take over the alpha role. Jennifer Lopez is clearly being cast as the new Paula Abdul and I can see her doing a good enough job at that - basing it from her performance as guest mentor during Season 6.

Which leaves us with Steven Tyler. Personally, I don’t really know - either way - how he’d be. Sure, he has the industry cred, but how is he with quips, banter, off the cuff remarks and humor? Plus, can he actually give articulate useful advice? He definitely has the kind of pedigree and career that could fit the bill of the new Simon Cowell, but it’s a totally unknown whether or not he makes good TV.

.. and that is why, I'm officially concerned with this coming season. Let's see.

One good thing I got from the press conference was the fact that Jimmy Iovine - Interscope/Geffen/A&M Records chairman - will join Idol as an ongoing mentor to the contestants. They will be showing him backstage with the Idols instead of “packages” that include “the weirdest summer job I ever had”. Haha, Now, that has GOT to be a big improvement.

Oh, and the judging panel is back to 3 - that's good.

4 comments:

Will said...

Idol will never be the same without Cowell. He's the only judge in the competition I take seriously. For some reason I picture Steven Tyler speaking in an Ozzy Osbourne way.

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: I agree! Idol will never be the same without Simon but somehow I think Idol can survive without Cowell. For the last two seasons, he seemed bored with what he was doing and therefore became as futile as Randy Jackson. I don't know.

Carson said...

I was hoping for a Shania Twain, Harry Connick Jr. and Kara DioGuardi panel. Oh well.

DAM THE NATION said...

Carson: That would've been a better team! But, I guess we're stuck with this. Haha. I'll reserve my judgment for the new panel. Let's see

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...