Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Voice 10: Top 9

Surprise! Surprise! This wasn't a terrible episode! Yes, there were a couple of weak performances and one that's annoyingly over-the-top, but for the most part, it was a pretty good week. Maybe their setting themselves up for a bloodbath that will happen next week? I don't know, but it's a good sign, right?

On with the show!

09. Nick Hagelin
Hold On, We're Going Home
[TEAM CHRISTINA]
This was a lot more controlled compared to any of his previous performances, but that's not saying a lot. I thought his vocal transitions were jarring and the thinness to his voice just didn't sound pleasant especially with the chosen song. I don't know. He's just not connecting - at least, to me. 4

07. Alisan Porter
Cryin'
[TEAM CHRISTINA]
What did we do to her to deserve such an intense scolding on national television? Oh. She was singing? Alright then. 5

08. Paxton Ingram
I Wanna Dance With Somebody
[TEAM BLAKE]
I was ready to hate on this performance, but Paxton made it work. No, his vocals weren't perfect as he hit a couple of sharp notes during the verses and the prolonged notes towards the end was a bit under the pitch, but the fresh arrangement lifted the performance to something more than a karaoke take on this overdone song. 6

06. Shalyah Fearing
A Change Is Gonna Come
[TEAM ADAM]
This was a competent version of the song, but it lacked purpose. I mean, the vocals were good and how her voice flowed with the melody was quite impressive especially given her improved vocal control, but somehow, I didn't feel like she was connecting with the song either. I didn't feel that a change is really going to come. Eh. 6.5

05. Adam Wakefield
Love Has No Pride
[TEAM BLAKE]
Another solid performance from Adam. His tone matched perfectly the song choice, his pitch was consistent, and there's a palpable connection to his performance. It did feel a little safe though and predictable, but that's just me nitpicking. 8

04. Laith Al-Saadi
We've Got Tonight
[TEAM ADAM]
I have never been a fan of Laith, but this was possibly his best performance on the show. It was emotional, it was soulful, and it was well-rounded. His vocals became a little stale as the song went on, but I digress. 8

03. Mary Sarah
My Church
[TEAM BLAKE]
Holy crap! Where did this come from? I've never been so riveted to watch a Mary Sarah performance until My Church. Not sure if it was the song choice, but she exuded confidence that's quite rare. The personality and attitude she infused with the song complemented her strong vocals and I enjoyed some of the well-placed grit. Hands down, her best performance yet! 8

02. Hannah Huston
Say You Love Me
[TEAM PHARRELL]
Aside from the simple fact that the song choice was stellar, Hannah's vocals on Say You Love Me was just beautiful. Her seamless transition to her head voice was fantastic, there's power when needed, and the vocal dynamics were superb. Plus, the impassioned delivery of the words was almost transcendent. 9

01. Bryan Bautista
1+1
[TEAM CHRISTINA]
Welcome back, Bryan! I don’t think people fully appreciate how difficult this song is to sing, but what he managed to do with his voice was spectacular - how Bryan managed to navigate the complicated transitions and melody of the song - and how he made it look so effortless while interpreting and inhabiting the song was even more impressive. 9


WHO SHOULD GO HOME?
Nick Hagelin

WHO WILL GO HOME?
Nick Hagelin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you explain to me how this was a "terrible episode"?... yet, you praised the hell out of most of the American Idol contestants who, quite frankly, sucked (especially compared to most of the Voice contestants).

And you also seem to have something against the best singers. What's up with that? Alisan this season, Jordan last, and others in previous seasons. I can understand a difference in opinion, but you seem to have it out for the ones that are the frontrunners to win the whole thing.

Not trying to start anything here... just curious to hear how you can hear something so differently from everyone else.

DAM said...

Anonymous: I didn't realize there was a comment like this. I didn't say it was a "terrible episode". I said it was NOT a terrible episode.

Also, it's just a matter of preference. I'm just not a big fan of Alisan and Jordan. Sorry.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...