Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Movie Review: The 5th Wave

I will not say that The 5th Wave measured up with its contemporaries - far from it actually - but I also can't deny the fact that it was thoroughly entertaining. Yes, there was obviously a lot that was borrowed from the earlier young adult book adaptations and oddly there were more questions raised here than answered, but it had it's fair share of redeeming qualities. The acting was fairly good especially Chloƫ Grace Moretz, who I thought carried the narrative really well, the sparse action sequences were engrossing, and the production value was consistent. Some scenes struck me as though they were hastily thrown in by the writers out of obligation, and the pacing was annoyingly uneven, but I digress. The 5th Wave may be generic - the romance element felt like I was watching Twilight all over again - but if you can allow yourself to dumb down enough to appreciate the general atmosphere of the movie, you may get something out of it. As much as I know I should hate it, I just don't. 6.5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...