Sunday, December 6, 2015

X Factor UK 12: Top 4

It's the semi-finals week and we've got a couple of solid performances as they tackle songs that will get them to the Finale next week. Quite honestly, I had a solid Top 3 in mind, but this episode made me think twice. Reggie 'N' Bollie, to be honest, started out as the good 'ole joke contestant, but in hindsight, they've been more than entertaining throughout the season. Does that warrant a spot in the Finale? I'm not sure, but I prefer them over another bland singer in the mix. But we'll see.

On with the show!

08. Lauren Murray
Take Me Home
[GIRLS]
What happened? I was in awe when I heard her sing this song back in The Judges' House Round, but here, Lauren's vocals were all over the place. Her pitch was terrible for the most part, her lower register was incredibly problematic, and while her vocals soared when she got to her sweet spot, it wasn't enough to salvage the whole performance. Yikes. 4

07. Reggie 'N' Bollie
Locked Away
[GROUPS]
Not going to lie, I was more entertained than annoyed with this performance. Granted, their vocals weren't anywhere flawless, but this somehow proved that they can actually be a viable pop duo after the show. They started out pretty awful, but when they got into the groove, things fell into place. 6.5

06. Chè Chesterman
Love Is A Losing Game
[BOYS]
Good vocals, but incredibly boring. Chè has been extravagantly bland since the live shows began - his Hello was probably the most interesting just because he forgot A LOT of words - and this further strengthened the idea that he's nothing more than a predictably solid vocalist. 6.5

05. Lauren Murray
Runnin'
[GIRLS]
On paper, this should've been an absolute homerun for Lauren - she had the right range for the song, the attitude, and it was time for her to pull off something with a little more tempo than usual - but something was lacking and I can't really put my finger on it. It was just underwhelming. 7

04. Chè Chesterman
Would I Lie To You?
[BOYS]
Sure, this was, yet again, another throwback performance from Chè, but what worked for him here was that it had energy. He looked comfortable on stage, his vocals for the most part was solid - though he hit a couple of rough notes towards the end - and it was probably one of the few entertaining performances that we got from him. 7.5

03. Reggie 'N' Bollie
I Got A Feeling/ I Like To Move It
[GROUPS]
The kind of hot mess I can get behind. Haha. I've NEVER been a fan of this duo, but no one can deny the sheer charisma and entertainment that they bring to the show. They will never be the best singer on this show, but they can entertain and that's probably one of the most important things to be successful. Just ask, Taylor Swift. 7.5

02. Louisa Johnson
The Power Of Love
[GIRLS]
I admit, I was looking for something a lot softer from her during the verses, but that's just me nitpicking because this was another impeccable performance from Louisa. She's just awesome. Her vocals were on point, she connected well with the material, the staging was good, and how her voice soared towards the end was outstanding. Can we crown her already? 9

01. Louisa Johnson
It's A Man's Man's Man's World
[GIRLS]
I've heard A LOT of versions of this song - more than five (5) this year alone - but Louisa's rendition was just as powerful and one of the best I've heard this year. Oh, and this might be the performance of the season. Yes? 9.5


BOTTOM 2 PREDICTION
Lauren Murray
Chè Chesterman

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...