Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Voice 11: Top 8

It's the infamous BLOODBATH! I don't like this round as it feel a little brutal for everyone involved, but whatever floats their boat I guess. Now, the performances were ranging from terrible to very good and that's good enough for me. I wonder though if one of the frontrunners will fall short of the finale opening up a spot for a dark horse. We'll see.

On with the show!

08. Brendan Fletcher
Angel
[TEAM ADAM]
This was unfortunate. Based from last week, Brendan seemed to have the momentum peaking at the right moment in the competition. Then, Angel happened and I'm not entirely sure of his chances now. His pitch was all over the place, the verses were tentative, and he didn't look all excited with the song choice. Such a shame. 3

07. Aaron Gibson
Everything I Do (I Do It For You)
[TEAM MILEY]
Hmm. This was a bit tricky. I thought the song choice was good, but the uncontrollable vibrato in Aaron's voice was a tad distracting and I wasn't sure if he's comfortable with the song or not. Quite frankly, I'm still not sure if I like the performance or not. Haha. 5

06. Christian Cuevas
To Worship You I Live (Away)
[TEAM ALICIA]
I hated the pandering, I thought his vocals weren't as good as last week, and the emotions felt a little forced, but I have a funny feeling America will eat this up like any worship songs performed on the show before. No, I didn't think it was bad, but it was annoyingly indulgent. 5.5

05. Wé McDonald
Scars To Your Beautiful
[TEAM ALICIA]
I appreciated the fact that they went current with the song choice and even the staging was kind of cool. However, the execution was a little underwhelming. The verses were strong, but when she hit the chorus, it didn't sound right. Was she flat or a bit under the right pitch? I wasn't sure, but it was a little disappointing. 6

04. Josh Gallagher
Danny's Song
[TEAM ADAM]
Yikes! Adam pulled out this song out of nowhere and I'm afraid it worked really well for Josh. His interesting tone was a perfect match for the tune and this has to be one of his more consistent vocal performances on the show. I was ready to hate this, but I didn't. It was simple yet highly effective. 7.5

03. Sundance Head
Love Can Build A Bridge
[TEAM BLAKE]
I'm not a fan of Sundance and his genre, but I can't deny the fact that this was a solid vocal performance. It's not the most interesting and not something I'd listen over and over again, but I felt that he poured his everything on it, which was admirable. 8

02. Billy Gilman
Surrender
[TEAM ADAM]
His vocals weren't as flawless as usual, but it was still as powerful as hell. It did came to a point though where I felt a little too overwhelmed with all the long belting notes. It was impressive, don't get me wrong, but it came off a little overwrought. I did like that there was enough dynamics to separate the verses from the booming chorus. 8

01. Ali Caldwell
I Will Always Love You
[TEAM MILEY]
Good job, Ali! I initially groaned at the song choice, but the way she masterfully navigated the melody was impressive. The rise and fall of her vocals were spectacular, the vocal choices made her version entirely refreshing, and it was well-controlled. If it was me, she should be in the Finale just on the merit of her consistently good performances. Will this be enough for America though? I'm not so sure. 9


WHO SHOULD BE IN THE FINALE?
Ali Caldwell
Billy Gilman
Sundance Head
Josh Gallagher

WHO WILL BE IN THE FINALE?
Sundance Head
Billy Gilman
Wé McDonald
Christian Cuevas

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...