Wednesday, September 21, 2011

G-List: 25 Favorite Glee Performances (Season 2)

Just like last season, I give to you DAM NATION's 25 Favorite Glee Performances of Season 2 - just before the new season of Glee premieres today - and somehow look back at some of the most unforgettableinterpretations of classic tunes, pop music and even obscure songs.

Personally, I found Glee's Season 2 frustratingly underwhelming and I somehow thought that it was - aside from the crappy storyline, of course - slightly because of the music. There's was hardly anything memorable like say, Don't Stop Believin' or Somebody To Love.

Yes, I did think the songs in Season 2 were weak, but you know what, I take it back now. Coming up with a list of 25 songs was extremely hard and it's annoying to not have them all in the list. Haha.

Anyway, here's my 25 Favorite Glee Season 1 Performances:

25. Friday
Sam, Artie and Puck
(Episode 20: Prom Queen)

Glee's version of this song was exponentially better than the original. I admit, I didn't hate Rebecca Black's version - thought it was undeniably crappy - but how they turned utter crap into such gold was beyond me! This was one of the most awesomely, "wildly overproduced" numbers Glee has ever done, I think. Maybe we just need to imagine it as an original song like Trouty Mouth or My Headband, you know with bad lyrics but funny. Haha.

24. Dog Days Are Over
Mercedes and Tina
(Episode 9: Special Education)

The song totally worked for them. The little montage with this number was great because I got to see happy Kurt, I felt sad for Rachel at her locker, and it was a great ending to the episode. I loved the group hug as well. Everything was genuine. Plus, Tina and Mercedes in a duet was refreshing.

23. Hell To The No 
Mercedes
(Episode 16: Original Song)

This song is ridiculously catchy! I thought she sounded amazing and the whole performance was just fun. Plus, she was incredibly sassy in this number. Oh, Mercedes how I missed you!

22. Trouty Mouth 
Santana
(Episode 16: Original Song)

Freakin' hysterical! I'm laughing all over again just thinking about it! Haha. That was just pure writing gold right there! New. Favorite. Glee. Song. EVER! Ok, maybe not.. but still!

21. Marry You 
Glee Cast
(Episode 8: Furt)

Yes, they copied the infamous YouTube "Forever Wedding" scene - just like The Office - but this performance was beyond incredible as well. I mean, I loved that everyone got to shine in this number. I enjoyed every bit of it - from Finn and Rachel, to the cuteness that was Sam and Quinn, and yes, even to Brittany and Artie even though I don't like them as a couple. But of course, Carol and Burt dancing was absolutely adorable.

20. I'm A Slave 4 U 
Brittany
(Episode 2: Brittany/Britney)

I'm dead. I must be dead. Haha. I have to give props for the incredible Heather Morris in her performance of this Britney classic because she killed it. This girl is so talented, and it was nice to see her have her moment. She can really move!!

19. As Long As You're There 
Sunshine Corazon
(Episode 22: New York)

Sunshine sounded great on this track and this single handedly beat the crap out of New Directions. it could not compete with last year's Bohemian Rhapsody by Jesse St. James, but whatever. This was just too powerful to be ignored. Seriously.

18. Empire State Of Mind 
Glee Cast
(Episode 1: Audition)

Really well done. Minus Artie's rapping, this musical number sounded really great, and I loved the way they performed it - yes, in the middle of lunchtime. I also enjoyed how they incorporated Sunshine and Sam into the scene with Rachel and Finn.

17. Light Up The World 
Glee Cast
(Episode 22: New York)

This song was actually better than Loser Than Me, their other upbeat original song. Better choreography and I was glad that they showcased even Tina and Brittany in this song. Yes, this song's a grower. I didn't think I'll like it, but their actual performance sold it to me. Very nice. 

16. Tik Tok 
Brittany
(Episode 14: Blame It On The Alcohol)

Just from Mr. Figgins' introduction alone, this number was destined to be EPIC! Haha. It was fun, flirty, and the choreography was awesome. I also think Brittany owned it! Heck, her version is even better than KE-Dollar Sign-HA's. Too bad, they weren't able to finish the number though. Ha!
 
15. Happy Days Are Here Again 
Rachel and Kurt
(Episode 4: Duets)

A prefect duet for Kurt and Rachel and somehow, the best song to end the Duets episode. I love how their voices fit together really well on this song. Rachel's facial expressions during this number were kind of distracting, but I kind of get the fact that they're actually imitating how the original singers performed this. Oh, and Kurt looked so debonair. Very nice.

14. Time Warp 
Glee Cast
(Episode 5: Rocky Horror Glee Show)

From the costume to the whole production value, this performance just stood out. It was fun to watch and listen to. True, there was no plot development or point being made in this number, but it was still pretty sensational! Also, Quinn and Kurt rocked it!

13. Me Against The Music 
Brittany
(Episode 2: Brittany/Britney)

Really. Brittany + Santana = Incredible. Not only have I put this song on repeat on my playlist, but I've also played that part of the video - and Brittany's monologue directly after it - over and over again. The choreography was ridiculous and the way they recreated the music video was just as good. Of course, Britney Spears appearing at the end of the number made it so much better, I think.

12. Take Me Or Leave Me
Rachel and Mercedes
(Episode 13: Comeback)

It was everything I thought it would be and more. I mean, when was the last time we really saw Mercedes perform anything? Ha! Plus, Rachel's diva singing face has never been stronger. Amazing!

11. Songbird 
Santana
(Episode 19: Rumours)

Santana's take on this classic was just beautiful beyond words. I love that it's understated and heartfelt. Yes, Santana. Marry me please?

10. Lucky 
Sam and Quinn
(Episode 4: Duets)

As I've said before, Quinn and Sam have that serious musical chemistry!! Really. It didn't seem forced or staged. Santana was right, this was so freakin' charming. Enough said.

09. River Deep, Mountain High 
Mercedes and Santana
(Episode 4: Duets)

Fierce! I thought both of them performed the crap out of that tune. The vocals were great and the choreography was very Tina Turner. Oh, and I love the fact that Santana was able to sing and dance more on the show and act because she can do all three. I was very impressed.

08. Get It Right 
Rachel
(Episode 16: Original Song)

And I sincerely teared up during this number. How dare you Rachel Berry? Haha. This performance was just both beautiful and emotional. It was perfectly acted and the whole sequence wasn't as overdone or beaten with a stick as I expected. Absolutely gorgeous!

08. Baby, It's Cold Outside 
Kurt and Blaine
(Episode 10: A Very Glee Christmas)

This performance was so charming, I can't even stand it. Haha. Absolutely loved this performance. I thought there was a good transition to the song and it was just a delightful duet. They both sounded great together. It's fun, playful and flirty. Never expected that. Possibly one of the best numbers in this Christmas episode.

06. Toxic 
Glee Cast
(Episode 2: Brittany/Britney)

This is like Push It from last season. Haha. I think it was the best Britney performance of the episode because of the hilarity it created. Too bad, Jacob and Lauren ruined the moment. I'm also not sure if Will Schuester being part of this number is a good thing as well - it was a little creepy to me. But just the same, the arrangement of the song was kind of refreshing and I did enjoy their understated take on the song.

05. Thriller/Heads Will Roll
Glee Cast
(Epiosde 11: The Sue Sylvester Bowl Shuffle)

EPIC! Sure, I got kind of dizzy with the camera work during this number, but everything else was excellent. The make up, the set design and the choreography. Great performance.

04. Valerie
Glee Cast
(Episode 9: Special Education)

Fan-freakin-tastic! I think Santana, Brittany and Mike killed it. Oh, and the background dancing was excellent too. Again, it was a pure, sheer, unadulterated awesomeness from New Directions. Great energy and this performance alone made them more than deserving to win Sectionals outright. Enough said.

03. I Want To Hold Your Hand 
Kurt
(Episode 3: Grilled Cheesus)

Beautiful! This made me bawl shamelessly. That little montage with little Kurt and Burt was a nice added touch to the scene and it was spectacularly executed. Bravo!

02. Forget You 
Holly Holiday
(Episode 7: The Substitute)

Possibly the most fun performance of the season without all the theatrics and whatnot. Somehow, it had that Season 1 feel to the musical performance. Now, a lot of people I know - including me - didn't like the idea of Gwyneth on the show because she "can't sing", but I have to say her rendition was amazing. If I'm being honest, I've been listening to it non-stop. Ha!

01. Teenage Dream 
Blaine and The Warblers
(Episode 6: Never Been Kissed)

THE performance that made Blaine a star! Yes, this was my favorite musical number of the season. I've gushed enough about this song since the preview came out a few days before it actually premiered, but crap! The fact that it was a capella really made me happy since that's VERY glee club. It sounded spectacular, and this made me a Blaine fan. Seriously. Haha. He's just freakin' adorable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No loser like me? :))

Anonymous said...

I loved Dog Days Are Over and Baby Its Cold Outside, maybe they are my two favorite of this season. However, I also love the album exclusive Do you think I'm Sexy by the Warblers. <3

Will said...

Mine, mine!

1. Valerie
2. Teenage Dream
3. Time Warp
4. River Deep, Mountain High
5. Marry You

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...