Saturday, September 24, 2011

Glee Music 3: I Am Unicorn

Too. Much. Broadway. I guess, I won't be watching this week for the music no? Haha.

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate Broadway music, but my main issue is that they're ALL show tunes, which automatically makes them polarizing. I NEED VARIETY!! Where are the Top 40 hits (Teenage Dream and Forget You) or the old classic rock anthems (Don't Stop Believin' and Somebody To Love)? Maybe - just maybe - I'll be fine with the first two episodes featuring three show tunes each to get the musical arc going, but it needs to stop after that!!

Glee is at its best when it knows how to balance different music genres. I don't like extremes, that's why I fell in love with Season 1 just because of the right amount of balance in show tunes and pop songs. Season 2 was modern/pop song heavy and now it's overwhelmingly Broadway. It's all a matter of balance, Glee!! Same with the performers. Rachel, Kurt and Blaine AGAIN? Seriously?

Plus, they only have three songs for this episode? Usually, I'll take extra time for storyline development over a barrage of songs any day of the week, but I learned from Season 2 that less songs doesn't really mean better storylines. So, whatever.

I'm The Greatest Star
Ok. Never heard the song before, so I don't really have anything to judge it against, but technically this is quite good. I can hear Kurt acting in this and I like that he uses more of his pleasant register, which is less grating. I know that Kurt is charming enough to pull this off, but I just don't think it's compelling enough to make me listen to it for a couple of times. 5/10

 Something's Coming
Didn't like it. Didn't hate it. I have to admit though, hearing Blaine sing a classic Broadway song is kind of refreshing just because I wasn't really sure if his voice and technique fits that genre - he tends to over sing certain parts on some songs and that always kind of bothered me - but his rendition is clean. Yes, that's about it. Haha. 6/10

Somewhere
Arguably, the strongest song in the episode. No, it's not because it's the most familiar track of the three, but because it was flawlessly and beautifully sung. Rachel and Shelby sound amazing together! I'm not so keen with the arrangement as it's too Disney for my liking, but that's just me nitpicking. 8/10

(all 3 songs)

3 comments:

Maya Lintu said...

Thanks! are those iTunes versions?

Anonymous said...

Sing-Off Season 3 Songs?

Anonymous said...

too much board way, i guess.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...