Thursday, September 29, 2011

Glee Season 3: I Am Unicorn Episode Review

I Am Unicorn
Season 3, Episode 2

Wow. What an episode! Yes, I Am Unicorn certainly wasn't THE best episode EVER, but it was pretty damn good and it actually got me excited for the series again! Possibly Glee's strongest since Season 1's Finale - and that's a long time!

I thought the episode was captivating, it didn't bore me to tears, there were some absolutely brilliant moments and there's an actual semblance of continuity from a few story lines that were dropped completely last season. I must say, Glee's Season 3 is actually delivering WAY better than I expected. Very nice.

THE GOOD:

- I hate to admit it, but I shockingly liked Will Schuester in this episode. He, to me, brought out the "continuity" that I was looking for since early Season 2. He remembered how Mercedes compared herself to Beyonce, about how Emma helped him staged Rocky Horror, and even addressed how Quinn lived at Mercedes' place. Of course, it was all on the writers, but still..

- Oh Brittany, you never fail to amaze me! She was hysterical and endearing all at the same time! She was into unicorns and thought the capital of Ohio is O. Owesome! Haha.

- Clown pig!! No doubt, that little scene with Puck and Shelby was seriously moving!! I wasn't really a big fan of Puck's character, but this just made me love him. Everything was just amazingly adorable.

- I actually liked how Mr. Schuester snapped at Quinn. The context of that scene was good and the execution was even better.

- Quinn's storyline was more interesting and intriguing than I initially thought. I had reservations with how the writers handled her character - you know, Quinn wanting Beth back - but this somehow gave her more depth. I just hope that this "act" lasts for roughly two weeks, otherwise it will get a bit stale.

- Burt Hummel was great! Can I say the best dad EVER? He gives the best advice.. EVERYTIME!!

- Rachel as Juliet and Kurt as Romeo was too funny! Haha. 

- The Brittany and Santana's short interaction in this episode was quite lovely. I didn't expect that.

THE BAD:

- Still iffy about Sue's storyline, but whatever. Oh, and I guess they stopped thinking of good lines for Sue no? 

- Kurt portrayed again as a victim in this episode was annoying. I actually felt really sorry for Blaine. He was stuck in the middle no matter what he did, I honestly believe that he really wanted the lead role, he's a performer - a star performer at that, it's what he does best. But then he decided to push that aside for Kurt, in order to support him, why couldn't Kurt do the same to him?

- I wasn't so keen on the songs this week, which I already whined about a couple of day ago. Good thing, the story lines made up for it being weak. I'm also hoping that the songs don't go to Kurt, Rachel and Blaine as the trend of the first two episodes suggests.

THE MUSIC:

SOMEWHERE was stunningly beautiful! No words for the musical and emotional chemistry between Shelby and Rachel. Just breathtaking.

THE GREATEST STAR. I didn't care much for this. Yes, the staging was great and Kurt sounded amazing, but that's just about it for me. I can appreciate the talent it would take to sing and act this song, but it was just not my cup of tea. Plus, I really miss songs with Kurt's lower register. Just saying.

SOMETHING'S COMING was weird. I used to find his silly faces cute in The Warblers, but it somehow didn't work here. His final note was impressive though.

8 comments:

Abygail said...

Yeah, the romeo and juliet is the most interesting part on this ep! Lol, and u have to include the clown pig picture :)

Anonymous said...

Hated the music, but loved the story. A very strange episode of glee that's for sure.

Quinns story line is slightly annoying to me, obviously it might end up pretty well but I'm not sure I want to watch Quinn trying to get the baby back.

Kurt is annoying. They spend wayyyy too much time on him. I just hope they don't do a repeat of last season.

katuray said...

funny, u didn't mention (or like) shelby and sugar's "i am a shining star" scene. i actually thought it was hilarious!

blaine is love, love, love! i have this like super-crush on him!!! ;)

burt is not the best dad... AL MOTTA IS!!! and he looks hot, too! lol

(but why the hell would an uber-rich guy like him send his daughter to mckinley?!)

Inigo said...

Dam: I have a three word review that works for this week as well as last. NOT ENOUGH FINN!

Ahem.

(Sorry for shouting.)

Quinn's motivation is confusing, I agree. For someone who didn't spare a thought for her baby since she gave her away, I can't tell if this sudden onset of maternalism a)is real; b)comes from spite at Shelby dressing her down; or c)is due to TPTB reading on the internet that all girls who give up babies are supposed to regret it. I fear it's the last and am disappointed. I actually liked that Quinn represented that rarely seen on TV but nonetheless real for some girls lack of adverse reaction to giving birth and giving up the baby.

I love West Side Story. My high school did it in my freshman year and I tried out for it - sadly my supreme lack of talent did not see me through and I ended up backstage. But "Something's Coming" is song I know well and adore. Blaine's performance finally enabled me to see my problem with Darren Criss's voice. It has no weight. It's superficial and it really showed in this song.

Overall, bar my one big problem, (did I mention it?) I agree that this season is looking good so far.

Inigo said...

Oh, and I meant to respond to your comment on Kurt. In what way did you think Kurt was portrayed as a victim? I saw him get a much-needed lesson on the realities of a competitive environment where being "who he is" is subservient to being who the character you're trying out for is. Neither in his audition song nor his aborted Romeo was he showing the selectors the Tony of West Side Story. Kurt won't lose Tony because he's gay, he'll lose Tony (at least I hope so) because he is not a credible Tony. If he's a victim at all, it's of his own choices and/or self-centredness.

gman said...

The “Booty Camp” was irritating only because it meant fewer songs. I wish they would do more music and more comedy and less drama. That was the whole reason I started watching this show in the first place. Quinn coming back was nice but she really does sound like she’s been smoking. I missed most of the first season which I need to go back and watch. That first season was about the baby between Quinn and Puck, but now that story is back in the picture. I’m glad that I can get the episodes on DVD from Blockbuster with my Movie Pass because it’s so convenient to have them sent to my home. I also love that the Movie Pass is free for new customers but I get it with my employee account for only $10 a month on the same bill.

Anonymous said...

the music wasn't as good as usual but loved the storyline!

dj ordonez said...

I'am not the fan of Glee but I like watching because of the act when they sing and dance.

please follow my travelblog @www.tourorganizers.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...