Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Voice 9: Top 12

While I had reservations with the crop of finalists this year, I genuinely think The Voice 9 has some pretty compelling artists. No, it's not as good and diverse as the past two seasons, but there are potential gems in this lot. If only these coaches know how to pick the right songs for their team, no?

Oh, and let me just say that the serious pandering this season has been off the charts and I feel sick to my stomach. But again, that's just me.

On with the show!

12. Zach Seabaugh
My Love  
[TEAM BLAKE]
Up until now, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that this actually closed the episode. Why? Not only did Zach had some serious intermittent pitch problems, it was also outdated, irrelevant, drearily sung, and absolutely boring. Yikes.  2

11. Mark Hood
Against All Odds
[TEAM PHARRELL]
Can we automatically eliminate someone just on the song choice alone? Mark has a natural gift with a pretty scratchy tone, but a lot of his melodic choices were all over the place and there was so little oomph behind his words that I eventually found my attention drifting. Was it his vocals? I'm not really sure, but the song choice played a huge part. Ha. 3

10. Braiden Sunshine
Renegade
[TEAM GWEN]
To my ear, this was actually a lot better than I originally thought. His vocals, for the most part, was intact and he tried to work the stage. There were moments though where his vocals just collapsed and the overall effect was jarring. 5

09. Korin Bukowski
Titanium
[TEAM GWEN]
While Korin did improve slightly on her pitch and connection to the material compared to her last performance - which ought to be enough to help her survive another week - her vocal consistency was still a bit problematic. Yes, the delicate intro seemed more like the Korin we loved, but when she ramped up the volume on the chorus, the performance came off a little forced. Was it just me? 5.5

08. Barrett Baber
Right Here Waiting
[TEAM BLAKE]
Look, Barrett performed this with a simplicity that somehow helped him stand out from some of the night's fussier arrangements, but I couldn't shake off the song choice and how bland it was for him. Sure, his delivery had some emotional heft to it and he was consistently in tune, but it wasn't anywhere near remarkable. 6.5

07. Evan McKeel
This Is It
[TEAM PHARRELL]
Outside his awkward moves and that odd looking shirt, Evan delivered this with more heartfelt energy and enthusiasm than any other singer tonight. I thought his vocals were mostly on point and even the slightest flaws in his voice gave the performance that semblance of character. I would've enjoyed it better if it was a bit toned down, but I digress. 6.5

06. Emily Ann Roberts
Blame It On The Heart
[TEAM BLAKE]
Can't deny the fact that Emily Ann showcased a ton of vocal power and control in this rousing number, but her stage presence proved far less impressive. I appreciated the fact that she did try to move around the stage and deliver the performance with some fun energy, but she still looked quite calculated and that very slightly stifled my enjoyment of her number. 7

05. Amy Vachal
Hotline Bling
[TEAM ADAM]
Not going to lie, this was the perfect case of a triumph of conceptually cool arrangement over actual execution. While Amy's version of Hotline Bling lacked that core foundation of consistent pitch and emotional connection, her impeccable phrasing and lilting tone somehow strangely made up for it. Shoot me, but there was something completely magnetic with this performance. 7

04. Shelby Brown
In Color
[TEAM ADAM]
She may have botched the tempo and timing of the song as soon as she hit the middle section,but her grasp on pitch and her ability to embody a song far beyond her tender years was just incredible. Plus, she showcased here the clarity and power of her vocals and how she took full possession of a song rather than merely renting it. I'm pretty sure Blake's pissed that she's not on his team. 7.5

03. Madi Davis
Who Will Save Your Soul
[TEAM PHARRELL]
I initially questioned the song choice, but she somehow made it work. She took control of the song, nailed nearly every note, and the subtle instrumentation backed her tremendous accuracy in singing - especially when she threw in some adlibs and twist on the melody. Not sure how America will respond to her and the arrangement of the song, but I'm hoping she will not end up like Mia Z from last season. 8

02. Jordan Smith
Great Is Thy Faithfulness
[TEAM ADAM]
Against a sparse backdrop of just piano as soon as he ditched his glorious acapella bit, Jordan performance was delicate, powerful, and quite stunning. The pandering was a bit off-putting, but this was undeniably a strong vocal performance. 9

01. Jeffery Austin
Let It Go
[TEAM GWEN]
Soulful. Nuanced. Gorgeous. Jeffery's version of this James Bay tune was sung pretty darn well, no? The ease with which he caressed every single word of the song made me feel like he was reaching out to me personally and that meticulous soulful inflections was just a thing of beauty. He could potentially spoil Jordan's leisurely walk to the title. 9


WHO SHOULD GO HOME?
Zach Seabaugh

WHO WILL GO HOME?
Braiden Sunshine

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...