Sunday, August 22, 2010

Idol 54 - Kellie Pickler

54. Kellie Pickler
Season 5, 6th Place

I also had this love/hate relationship with Kellie during her Idol run. I found her absolutely entertaining but that was after she's done with all the singing. Really.

Sure, she somehow deserved the Top 12 - or even Top 10 - slot during that season but she, to me, was so overrated. She was pretty, she had a great personality, and she was the only country girl of her season -  but that’s pretty much all she's got going for her. Other than that, it was all blah.

Good thing, her personality made her more than likable - at least to me. She maybe did play up the "dumb blonde" shtick for votes, but I didn't really care. She was freakin' hilarious. Up until now, I still think she should have her own talk show or something. Haha.

Now, as for the singing, Kellie, arguably, is one of the most inconsistent contestants Idol has ever had. Seriously. One week she would do something great, and then the next week she would suck. Don't Blame It On The Sun was such a guilty pleasure of mine. Haha. It wasn't bad vocally but it was just too boring that I wanted to stab myself to death. Then there's Suds In The Bucket, which was horrible, same with Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered.

Frankly, I was a fan of her during the semifinals with all her shticks and whatnot - her singing wasn't bad either. But somehow, I got a bit tired with her act and found her a little annoying as soon as we went past the Top 12. I don't know what happened but I didn't find her as genuine as she was prior to the Finals.

Now, she's out with her post-Idol materials and I'd say I'm beginning to like her again. I'm actually glad that she's making a name for herself in country music and it is really good to see her go into her element and put her personality into her songs. I Wonder always brings a tear to my eye and her last hit single Best Days Of Your Life with Taylor Swift was really good. Oh, and her Ellen interviews are hilarious!

Favorite Performance(s): I think Kellie's best performance was definitely Fancy. She was definitely in her element that week, and she gave a great performance. She also took a risk with I'm the Only One, and I kind of dug it. It wasn't the best version of that song I've ever heard, but it was pretty decent.

Fancy


I'm The Only One


Kellie Pickler on Ellen 6/5/09


Kellie Pickler on Ellen Holloween 2009


Kellie Pickler on Ellen 2/16/10


#53 - Teflon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...