Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Idol 69 - Trenyce

69. Trenyce
Season 2, 5th Place

Well, I didn't watch season two while it was on. But over the years I did get around to watching some performances on YouTube and stuff, and I knew that Trenyce was probably one of my favorites of the season.

To be honest, I really don't think Trenyce got a fair shot during the season. There was a definite agenda to get a male winner, and all of the females were thrown under the bus a bit. I think Treynce was consistently one of the best, but she rarely got the credit her talent merited.

With each week she seemed to improve, so I was sure the producers were happy when she finally got cut at Fifth Place - which was probably her strongest night of the season. Well, that seems to happen quite a bit on Idol, though.

All that being said, I think she is, arguably, one of the weaker divas to be on Idol - though I can't quite put my finger on what sets her below the others. Maybe part of it was the fact that when she sings, it sounds very throaty to me. She also has a sharp tone to her voice that doesn't mix all that well with her vibrato. But these are minor problems because she really is a talented vocalist and definitely one of the best vocalists of her season.

Favorite performance(s): A lot of people have attempted I Have Nothing on Idol, but Trenyce definitely did the song some serious justice. It takes a major vocalist to sing that song, and she did it. One of my favorite of the season. Have You Ever was also good. I thought she showed some serious relevance as a modern recording artist. It's a beautiful song and she sounded great doing it.

I Have Nothing


Have You Ever


#68 -The Blind Side

4 comments:

Gerard said...

dont like her that much. she was not "diva" enough compared to other AI contestants. Err, besides, Season 2 producers are aiming for an Aiken vs. someone else showdown.

DAM THE NATION said...

Gerard: I think she was 'diva' enough to be called one, just not as powerful as the others. But I prefer her over Lil Rounds and Lakisha Jones. Haha

Gerard said...

IKR! haha! Lil Rounds' stint was a complete meltdown. I dont like Lakisha.

DAM THE NATION said...

Gerard: Indeed!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...