Sunday, May 2, 2010

Movie Review: Iron Man 2

Ok. I very much enjoyed the first film in this series and while this sequel delivered in spades - action and well-executed CGI-wise - it felt like it was not as GREAT as it's predecessor.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the movie was highly entertaining. In fact, at the film's high points - the first act and the climax - Iron Man 2 was actually better than the first one. Everything up to and including the action scene in Monaco was just great fun to watch. I enjoyed the action, the character interactions, and of course Robert Downey Jr's wonderful portrayal of Tony Stark.

But somehow, the thread that tied it all together didn't seem to be that strong. I found the story to be uninteresting and, to some extent, weak. I don't know. Everything just went too smoothly that there was nearly NO tension in the film. Sure, there were certainly more action sequences here but it did not feel threatening at all - especially the third act where it almost fell apart.

I mean, it was as if the screenwriter didn't really know how to end the whole thing, and as such, we get quite the muddled ending. Yes. The special effects were very well-rendered and the action sequences were directed and choreographed amazingly but after the last fight scene, I sat in my chair and was like "That was it? Seriously?"

It somehow annoyed me with the fact that if Whiplash managed to assault Iron Man so easily in his poorly funded garage project, I'd assume killing him later on - when he had a whole new armor AND with the backing of Hammer - would be quite a work out for Stark and his sidekick. Sadly, the final showdown was just too short and too easy.

Good thing, the acting ensemble delivered great performances. Robert Downey Jr, again, was able to put a good balance of humor, seriousness and attitude to his character. His portrayal was effortlessly captivating. His chemistry with Gwyneth Paltrow was palpable, and she too turned in a fine performance. I actually found her to be as entertaining as she was in the first installment. Scarlett Johansson was a nice addition to the cast and Don Chealde was on par with Terrence Howard's portrayal of the role.

As for the bad guys, they somehow didn't disappoint either. Sam Rockwell, though annoying, offered something refreshing as a villain. Mickey Rourke, on the other hand, was very good although underutilized. I didn't think he had enough screen time and his character could've been fleshed out slightly better.

On a technical standpoint, of course, it was AMAZING. Nothing groundbreaking but it was very well-made with plenty of stunningly designed and executed special effects. Also, the musical score was suitable for the movie.

Now, although greatly flawed, these flaws were only noticeable from a critical point of view. I mean, even I came out of it with a fun movie experience, only to realize the movie's flaws hours later. But seriously, if you love a movie with witty characters and some cool heavy metal robot action, then this movie is definitely for you!

It surely looked like Iron Man 2 was mainly intended to be just a stepping stone to the Avengers movie though.

RATING: 8/10

Oh, and let me remind you that there's an additional scene after the end credits, so if you don't want to miss it then you might want to stay awhile for it.

2 comments:

Mark said...

where are my comments whaa! :(

DAM THE NATION said...

Gone. I told you that my blog was hacked two weeks ago right? The archive I got was prior to your comments that why it's not here. Haha. Sorry. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...