Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Idol 84 - LaKisha Jones

84. LaKisha Jones
Season 6, 4th Place

First 'diva' on the countdown.. 

I have to be honest, Lakisha was SO overrated at the beginning of Season 6. Seriously. Yes, she had a KILLER voice and her first performance was fantastic, but I didn’t really get anything out of it.

To be fair, she did deliver good vocals mostly every week, but I just found a lot of her song choices very predictable and she came off as a boring performer. I don't know. She seemed like she only wanted to pick the "divas" songs for herself. Haha.

Now, come semifinals, Lakisha got the first pimp spot of that season and sang And I'm Telling you I'm Not Going. Sure, she did great, but I didn't expect the judges to gush over it anywhere near the level that they did. Simon said that the other 23 should book a plane ticket home?! Really Simon? Haha.

All of LaKisha's performances after that took a new direction. Her performances seemed quite bland and predictable. She usually sounded good, but you knew exactly what to expect before she even opened her mouth. I don't know if she just became too confident or what.

It didn't take too long for me to grow tired of Lakisha. Around Top 10 or so, I had already made peace with her going home. I wouldn't mind her leaving at any point around then, even though there were people I liked less. I just felt that LaKisha didn't bring anything to the competition that others couldn't do better. She was dead weight on the show and she made it boring and monotonous.

Well, I knew that Lakisha was NOT going to win the show, and she would NOT be someone they'd want to win American Idol. I'm sorry but she's extremely unmarketable.

Favorite performance(s): Lakisha had a lot of decent performances, but only two really good ones. And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going was a great way to make an impression. She showed some major power in her pipes, some grit, and some balls-to-the-walls performance skills. It was definitely a show-stopper that grabbed my attention. After that it was a lot of blah, until This Ain't a Love Song. She really did save herself with that performance. I actually didn't appreciate it much at first, but now I love watching it back. It's probably one of the best examples of picking the perfect song during a theme week. She picked a great one and sang the crap out of it. It sure helps that it is such a great song that is easy to connect with emotionally. It was beautiful to watch.

And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going


This Ain't A Love Song


#83 - Pen salesman

6 comments:

Robbie said...

Mercedes Jones sang waaaaaay lot better! Hahaha. Because I didn't see much of the semifinals, I was never bored with Lakisha. But I didn't truly believe she's win.

#83 is Jon Peter Lewis!!! Wahahaha. Loved him. hehehe I though he was fun and his versions were fun din kahit he lacks vocally for me. Hehehe.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: Mercedes Jones and Jennifer Hudson sang this waaay better than her. I don't know. Anyway, she bored me to tears during her AI run. But season 6 is lame anyway. Haha.

Peejay said...

hahaha.. not a fan as well. when i told my friends that i don't like lakisha.. they said its because i was racist.. kasi black cia.. kasi hate ko din daw c fantasia at paris bennett.. hahaha..

yup, the next one is jon peter lewis..

DAM THE NATION said...

Peejay: Hmm.. That's not right to call you racist. Haha. Well, unless you disliked all african-american contestants. haha.

Peejay said...

i know.. i'm not.. coz i'm a fan of vonzell and syesha hahaha :))

DAM THE NATION said...

Peejay: That's good. But I, for some weird reason, root for the African-American contestants, except for Lil Rounds, Jasmine Murray, Lakisha Jones and Latoya London. Hhaha.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...