Friday, July 9, 2010

Idol 89 - Aaron Kelly

89. Aaron Kelly
Season 9, 5th Place

The contestant frequently introduced as 'High School Student Aaron Kelly'. We get it. So stop. Haha.

Well, Aaron, to me, made it remarkably far into Season 9 - chugging along through 10 consecutive weeks - without once looking like a legitimate threat to take the confetti shower at Nokia. Seriously. The kid rode his cuddly teen charm and his country twang appeal all the way to a surprising fifth place finish without even giving an amazing performance.

He spent his Idol run turning in mediocre performances from the beginning of the competition with only a precious few standouts. Yes, some were pretty solid but certainly nothing that was exciting enough for me to even care. Simply put, he never left any 'legacy' on the show - well, aside from being a high school student. Haha.

His audition of Miley Cyrus' The Climb was ok - I'll give him that - but his semifinals run was too inconsistent to even consider him as a potential artist after the show. Personally, Here Comes Goodbye was really good but everything felt blah after that, with a few trainwrecks like his Top 16 performance of I'm Already There. 

When he entered the Top 12, he remained predictable and boring with his song choices - consecutively performing songs that David Cook, David Archuleta and Kris Allen already covered on the show - and he still sway back and forth like he was on a sinking cruise liner during his performances. Oh, and here's my huge problem with Aaron: he has absolutely no charisma or performance ability. The way he performed was so hesitant and lacked any real boldness.

Now, if Aaron tried a little harder to lock up the country vote by sticking with the genre, then he could've been a great threat. I mean, there's some serious possibility that he could be a marketable artist after a lot of work but he was unable to market himself as a male Taylor Swift and lock on to a solid country voting block. So, it is what it is. Haha.

Favorite Performance(s): I enjoyed Here Comes Goodbye, but You've Got A Way was probably my favorite performance of Aaron Kelly. Sure, it was pretty much in his wheelhouse, but he also managed to perform the song in a very mature way I wasn’t aware he possessed. He sang it with such conviction that I have to applaud him.

You've Got A Way


#88 - Fake rocker

9 comments:

Robbie said...

I so so so so have strong negative feelings about this guy! For me it was okay for Tim Urban to get in the Top 12 cause he's got the teenage girls behind him and at least his performances are interesting and fun at times. But Aaron Kelly over Alex Lambert?!?!?! Gaaaah!

And I hate his swaying din!

Fake rocker is quite tough. My guess is Constantine Maroulis. Cant think of anyone else for that... except maybe Robbie Carrico but he's too irrelevant. Wahahah.

gddepadua said...

I like Aaron Kelly's "Here Comes Goodbye". Except for his awkward hip movements, i think he's good. But there's nothing about his voice that draws me into it. Ordinary lang.

gddepadua said...

I agree that #88 is Constantine Maroulis. I like Constantine's "My Funny Valentine". I hate his lip pouting. Haha! BUt he is not at all a fake rocker.

Paolo said...

I thought Aaron is good in singing as a 'high school student' but as a contestant on Idol, he never gave something that is amazing. It's like he's just a decoration at first and unexpectedly, he got the fifth place. Bummer.

But as I said before, he can still grow, he's so young like me. Haha.

Constantine Maroulis is a fake rocker? I have no guess on that one.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: I agree. Alex Lambert is like a million times better than Aaron. He doesn't have anything except for the country twang, which is why he's UP there.

DAM THE NATION said...

Gerard: I think he's average. I don't know. I actually like Joe Munoz better than him. I mean, in terms of tone.

DAM THE NATION said...

Gerard: you guessed right kaya about #88?

DAM THE NATION said...

Pao: I agree. He can carry a tune but not enough to be an American Idol.

Anonymous said...

Personally, Aaron was my favorite contestant on American Idol for season 9. I think he should of made it further than he did, i saw him and Lee in the finale, that's just my opinion. Big Mike and Casey weren't that great to me, he should of beat them out for sure. He is a great singer and i'm not sure why people diss him all the time! He's a great singer especially considering how young he is. He has a great career ahead of him, and i can't wait to hear some of his songs! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...