Saturday, July 31, 2010

Idol News: Kara DioGuardi Fired?

Wow. What a day. First, it was Ellen DeGeneres announcing her resignation as an Idol judge. Now, TMZ is reporting that Kara DioGuardi was fired and the panel will go back to a 3-judge format.

According to the article, assuming all deals are finalized, the judge's panel will consist of Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler (Aerosmith).

Ok. So, this is kind of an interesting process and even though the show is not about the judges, it all goes to show just how important the chemistry between the judges is to the show.

I really think that American Idol started its trip down the pan when they introduced Kara DioGuardi and slid Paula Abdul out. The chemistry between Paula, Randy and Simon worked and was still working - if tired - in Season 7. The only thing that saved Season 8, in my opinion, was the talent and personalities of the contestants - or the Top 5 at least - that somehow overcame all the crap that was going on with the judges and other tweaks  the producers made.

Season 9 - minus Paula Abdul - the problems were front and center and the contestants weren’t strong enough to distract. I hate to say it but I don’t think the producers understood what Paula brought to the show until she was gone.

Of course, Simon Cowell is irreplaceable. It takes quite some charisma to get away with being as rude as he is and still be attractive and compelling to the audience. The show needs his wit and bluntness – that was evident this season when he seemed to be already absent half the time – but it needs his charm to pull it off too.

As for Kara DioGuardi, I think she had a hard time defining herself on the show. Seriously though, I'm torn on Kara leaving American Idol. I mean, she was hands down the best judge of Season 9, but the THING is - as she would say - she's just so unappealing. With the wagging of her finger, her way of phrasing and her verbosity consuming far too many precious seconds, I just want her to SHUT UP. Oh, and add the way she decided to climb all over Simon this year and I wanted to barf.

My only nagging thought about Kara being fired is that they gave Ellen a way to excuse herself gracefully, why not Kara? Why not cut both at the same time, then it looks much more like business and nothing to do with their performance as judges? This is getting a little weird, I think.

With Randy Jackson, I can see why they would keep him - for 'continuity' sake. Sure, he’s useless, but he has a pretty decent eye for talent. I don’t know. Maybe he’ll step up his game if he becomes the elder-statesman of the panel. Maybe he won’t phone it in when he knows people might actually listen to him - he had to have known that viewers were just waiting to see what Simon would say. Haha.

As for the new judges, Jennifer Lopez, I can see as a judge. Steven Tyler, not so much - that dude is a total train wreck. Would he be able to last a season? And as much as I try, this Steven Tyler thing scares the beejezus out of me. Ugh! Haha.

6 comments:

gddepadua said...

yeah, i somehow agree that kara deserve some respect from Idol. I mean, Kara had been great last season, arguably the best and most technical amongst the 4 judges but again, she's not that appealing.

Paula, no matter how irrelevant she gets at times, was far more appreciated since one, she was more popular than kara, and two, charisma.

Idol would never be the same without Simon. But life goes on for Idol. I don't think JLo nor Tyler could do much but we need something new to this show.

And i hope a girl would win next season. please.

DAM THE NATION said...

Gerard: I couldn't agree with you more. The original trio was a bit tiring come Season 7 but they still had that perfect chemistry.

Judges panel last year was just off. I don't know.

But YES to a girl win next season! Leneshe Young please audition again! Haha.

gddepadua said...

I hope so, for Lenesha. Pero baka mag audition siya sa X-Factor. Haha!

You know what's bad for Idol next season? May X-Factor na e. Kaagaw ng mga contestants niyan. Sana yung mga Idol rejects, wala dun.

DAM THE NATION said...

Gerard: I hope she tries out again with American Idol. After she was cut during Season 8, I really thought she'll audition again this year.

Robbie said...

I have 3 words: I like Kara Dioguardi as a judge.

I like her attitude and it didn't really annoy me at all. Mas gusto ko pa matanggal si Randy cuz he's really pretty useless.

Oh well, I don't think I will be watching Idol anymore next season anyways so I dont curr. Hahaha.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: Haha. Are you channeling Kara DioGuardi with the "3 words" and then it's not really 3 words? Hahahaha.

Anyway, I like Kara more than Randy. But I think I'll still watch Season 10, and then decide whether to ditch it after that season or not.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...