Sunday, September 12, 2010

Idol 36 - Jesse Langseth

36. Jesse Langseth
Season 8, Top 36 Finalist

Silly of me to even tag her as a non-entity during her season. Obviously, I was so wrong.

Seriously. After her performance of Bette Davis Eyes, there was a little part of me that would love to see her stick around a little longer - either by scoring that night's third-highest vote tally, or via Wild Card. After all, her song choice alone was the coolest out of the 36 tracks I've heard in the Season 8 semifinals, and she infused her vocal with more sass and sex appeal than any of her competitors.

Sure, she scared the crap out of me when I saw previews of her prior to the semifinals round but I have to agree with Paula that there was something about this woman's voice that was hard to forget. But aside from the voice, Jesse asking Randy to elaborate when he criticized her was absolutely wonderful to watch. I'm usually annoyed with contestants who talks back but I loved how he put Mr. Jackson on spot. Haha.

Now, I knew she wouldn't enter the Final 12 by sheer votes because Group 2 was a strong group with Adam Lambert, Kris Allen, Allison Iraheta, Matt Giraud, Megan Joy and even Jasmine Murray and Mishavonna Henson. Good thing, the judges picked her for the Wild Card because I was really dying to hear her sing again.

Sadly, I knew it wasn't looking good for Jesse Langseth when she got picked as the Wild Card show's opening act, which isn't to say the death of Jesse's Idol dream was all her own fault. I mean, she has a unique, husky tone to her voice that's easily identifiable, and she came out strong and energetic, determined to make an impression. What's more was that it was nice to see an Idol contestant pick songs - like Bette Davis Eyes' and that night's Tell Me Something Good  - that a person - ok, specifically me - might actually listen to in real life.

Unfortunately though, in Simon's mind, her song choice was "lightly indulgent" because it was "more about (Jesse) than anything else." Ugh. Seriously. I would've preferred her over Jasmine Murray who was so Disney! SHAME ON YOU JUDGES!

Favorite Performance(s): I just love her version of Bette Davis Eyes. Although Tell Me Something Good was also really good. She was just amazing. Nothing more to say. Ha!

Bette Davis Eyes


Tell Me Something Good


#35 - Dreadlocks

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...