Friday, September 10, 2010

Idol 38 - Mario Vazquez

38. Mario Vazquez 
Season 4, Top 16 Finalist

I was so close to putting Mario at a rank higher than this one, but I couldn't quite bring myself to do it - maybe because he quit the show.

I won’t deny that I was truly shocked when I first heard that he left American Idol. Mario was not at the top of my list that season, but I certainly appreciated his charisma and performing ability. I was also pleased to see a Latino in the mix and felt that it was about time that this huge segment of American Idol demo would have some representation in the Top 12. That fact alone might have carried him into the Finals.

But along with shock, I was a little bit angry. Strange emotion, I know, but I can’t deny it. I mean, reaching the Top 12 of American Idol is a remarkable achievement, and for whatever reason, Mario chose to throw that away.

That being said, I still think he had a terrific tone to his voice. He was smooth, controlled and had a great range. . I think he really showed that he had what it takes to win more than anyone else during the auditions and Hollywood. Heck, I still think he probably could've beat Carrie if he hadn't quit.

His semifinals performances were all pretty good. His rendition of Do I Do was amazing, same with I Love Music - though a bit overrated. Now, his version of How Do You Mend A Broken Heart? was absolutely gorgeous. I actually think that it was a smart move from him to save a ballad that he can nail for the clincher week. This, to me, proved that he was a contender for the title that season. He managed to show that he has layers of ability that might have served him well during the themed weeks.

Such a shame, I know.

Favorite performance(s): Mario's audition is by far one of my favorite auditions ever. He instantly showed that he would be an amazing modern recording artist with Whatever Happens. Another very unique and controlled voice. That's what it is all about for me. Just great. Of course, his semifinals performances were all good, especially Do I Do and How Do You Mend A Broken Heart?

Audition


Do I Do


How Do You Mend A Broken Heart?


#37 - Fantasia-lite

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...