Sunday, September 5, 2010

Idol 41 - Sabrina Sloan

41. Sabrina Sloan
Season 6, Top 16 Finalist

Oh, Sabrina! Truth be told, I still look back on her elimination with disgust. Seriously.

She, to me, had probably one of the best voices during Season 6. Looking back, she should have made it so much further than she did. I don't necessarily think she would've won, or even made the Finale, but I do think she deserved to be in the Top 10, and even the Top 5.

Now, having been given one of the briefest amount of screen time on Idol ever, Sabrina seemed destined to be cannon fodder in a season that featured one of the strongest groups of female contestants ever. Sure, Season 6 may have been a weak season overall but the talented girls were overflowing - though a bit heavy on the "diva" side. I mean, there's Melinda Doolittle, Jordin Sparks, Stephanie Edwards, Lakisha Jones and even Gina Glocksen. Plus, of course, Sabrina Sloan herself.

Still, even if the producers gave her a cannon fodder edit, she took the stage  with a Latoya-like calm confidence. It was obvious during that season's first live performance week. From note one, Sabrina exhibited a control in her voice that - with the exception of perhaps Melinda - was unmatched the entire night. I could tell that this girl had a powerful, crystal-clear, penetrating voice, and that her rendition of I Never Love A Man was going to be a performance to remember.

The next week, she again delivered a stellar performance with All The Man That I Need. By then, I was convinced that she's already a shoo-in for the Final 12 of that season. I mean, she was just as consistent as Melinda Doolittle, though a bit mechanical at times and there was no way Antonella Barba and Haley Scarnato can beat her. However, when the Top 16 came and she performed a still solid version of En Vogue's Don't Let Go, I knew something was not right. I looked at the other remaining girls and noticed that everyone are "divas" and too much of that was risky for the show. So, I figured that the lesser "divas" either Sabrina or Stephanie Edwards were in trouble that week, and expected Antonella Barba to actually sneak her way to the Final 12.

And I was right, Sabrina Sloan was eliminated instead of the mediocrity that was Haley Scarnato. Yes, I was mad! Sabrina, to me, was so robbed! It was such a shame that Sabrina wasn’t able to continue a run of such stellar performances. Personally, if anyone could have upset the producer-driven Jordin Sparks train, I fully believe it could have been one Sabrina Sloan. Sigh.

Favorite Performance(s): Everything. Haha. I'd say her first semifinal performance was the best we got from her. She sounded good and there was something about her delivery that went beyond mere singing - attitude! All The Man That I Need and Don't Let Go were also good.


I Never Loved  A Man

All The Man That I Need

Don't Let Go

Interlude: 10 Memorable 'Idol' Moments

2 comments:

Robbie said...

I wasn't watching the show much during this season but I did look at her performances in YT way back and I was really shocked that she didn't get to the Top 12. She was brilliant!

This is what makes AI really frustrating.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: Yes. Eliminations like her and the other deserving finalists makes AI really frustrating - infuriating even. Haha.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...