Friday, November 5, 2010

Idol 6 - Vonzell Solomon

6. Vonzell Solomon
Season 4, 3rd Place

I know this may raise some eyebrows but yes, Vonzell Solomon has been one of my favorites since, of course, Season 4. Come on! Just watch the videos below and it'll just speak for itself. Really. Ha!

I thought Vonzell sounded extremely controlled with all of her runs when I first saw her in Orlando. But really, it took a little while for her to become my absolute favorite contestant during her season. I mean, throughout the early parts of Season 4, I was all about Mario Vasquez, Nikko Smith and Anwar Robinson. Sure, Vonzell was my favorite girl, but it wasn't until Top 12 that I was completely a fan and rallied behind her for an American Idol win.

I knew right away that Vonzell wouldn't have much of a fair shot on Idol from the get go. For understandable reasons, Idol wants a variety of winners, so it was too soon for another black female RnB singer to win right after Fantasia Barrino. Even though I expected that and understood it, it didn't make it any easier to watch. I really think Vonzell gave only one lackluster performance throughout the whole season, but you definitely wouldn't think that if you just had Simon Cowell's comments to base it from.

Seriously. Pretty much every single performance he found something pointless to harp on her about. Whether it was the way she was dressed, subtle things about the way she performed, one or two off notes, you could count on Simon Cowell to blow it up into something bigger - while ignoring the same flaws or even worse ones from the precious chosen ones. Ugh! Oh, and it was especially hard when he still managed to criticize her after some of the very best performances of the season - Don't Leave Me This Way is one glaring exaple. It was beyond annoying.

Now, even though I knew the odds were against Vonzell, I still supported her every week. Actually, she did MUCH better in the competition than I had ever anticipated. I think I predicted her to be voted off around sixth or seventh place at the beginning of the finals - I even though Nadia Turner would place much higher than her.

A few early Bottom 3 appearances didn't make me feel any more optimistic. But she overcame the odds and landed in a pretty good spot. Frankly, Vonzell didn't really need to win Season 4. All she needed to do was to make the Top 2 to get a contract. Bo Bice and Carrie Underwood were going to be signed regardless. So, it's definitely not a surprise to me that Vonzell's career has been non-existent, despite being one of the most talented contestants EVER to be on the show.

I do think that she, by far, has got one of the best controlled voices of any American Idol contestant when it comes to melisma - probably the best female. I mean, she seriously did some ridiculously amazing runs and I just wish people would recognize how difficult they can be. She deserves much more credit than she gets. Now, I've said that visual performance skills don't really matter to me, but I can still recognize that Vonzell is a natural performer. Other than Bo Bice, she probably had the best stage presence of anyone on Season 4.

Truth be told, if she had been on just about any other season except for Season 4, she might've gotten more respect than she did. I think she's certainly better than people like LaToya London - who definitely got on the shrieky side a bit - and yes, I'll even go there, Jordin Sparks. But alas, Idol isn't ever going to be completely fair and unbiased. Sad. Anyway, here's to hoping that we get a Vonzell album soon because I can really see her as a very viable RnB artist. Heck, she would even pass as a member of Destiny's Child. Sigh.

Check this out!  
Dirtbag - Vonzell Solomon


Favorite performance(s): Hands down, her version of I Have Nothing was, arguably, the best on that Idol stage. I like the nuances in her vocals and the control and power was spot on. Not too loud (Jennifer Hudson) but not too weak (Katharine McPhee) not too bland and predictable (Trenyce) but not too over-the-top (Lakisha Jones) and certainly not shaky (Leah LaBelle). I also loved her fun performances from Chain Of Fools, On The Radio and of course, the riveting I'm Every Woman and Don't Leave Me This Way. Her more serious performances were also really good like People and I'll Never Love This Way.

I Have Nothing


I'm Every Woman


Don't Leave Me This Way


Best Of My Love


On The Radio


Chain Of Fools


I'll Never Love This Way

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...