Wednesday, June 22, 2011

IDOL Tournament: Introduction

Last year, it was all about the IDOL 100 - a countdown of MY top American Idol contestants of all time. This year, just to make things really exciting and interactive, I'm launching the American Idol Virtual Tournament just to see who the DAM NATION readers are actually pulling for. Hopefully, this will also make up for the 6-month long American Idol hiatus.

The idea actually started when I saw the Bracket Tournament at TVLine where it was all about the Greatest 'Idol' Performances. I figured why not do it here, but tweak it a bit because I knew that coming up with an initial list of great performances would be a little problematic - it's very subjective. So, I realized, why not have the Idols compete with each other! Haha.

Of course, these polls will eventually turn out to be simply a referendum on who's got the most organized online fan base, but one has got to admit that this ought to render some meaningless amusement. Admit it, polls - no matter how silly - are fun!! Sue me.

Ok, So here are some general notes before I begin the virtual tournament, which will start this week:
  • There are a total of 120 American Idol Finalists (semifinalists, not included) since Season 1, but we only need 64 American Idol contestants to complete the virtual tournament. Idols will be whittled down to 64 during Round 1.
  • For Round 1, polls will be posted with ALL finalists listed for each season. One poll per season. Everyone will be allowed to vote three (3) people per season and 5/6 Idols will advance to Round 2.
  • By the end of Round 1, 59 people will move on and the remaining slots will be given to the people who got the next 5 highest votes, regardless of season.
  • Round 1 polls will be open for one week. 
  • The next rounds will be less complicated. Every two days, at 10:00PM EST, a head-to-head poll will open for two (2) days and the winner will advance to the next round.
  • Results will be hidden while the voting is still ongoing just to add a little suspense to the whole proceedings. 
  • Head-to-head battles will be done randomly. 
  • Of course, please give feedback! I would be overjoyed to read your comments.
  • Enjoy the virtual tournament!!

13 comments:

Julio said...

I think this is 1000000% a better idea than IDOL 100... even though it is your blog Idol 100 was not objective at all...this will keep it more real even though people are never 100% happy with the results... can´t wait for the tournament

HIM said...

When does this start??

afiqkun said...

love the idea, can't wait for it to start.

Anyway, hope the past performances will be included during the battle (or the tournament as you called it) and not just..err..poll.

teehee :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Julio: I know what you mean. But IDOL 100, though subjective, was my way to introduce myself as an American Idol fan - crazy fantard, to be exact - since I basically made a blog (originally) for American Idol.

It may not be enough to establish myself as a legit American Idol blogger, but I thought it was a good enough effort on my part. :)

And this is a totally different route this year as I'm including the readers in this "tournament".

DAM THE NATION said...

HIM: Within the week. :D Not sure what specific day though.

DAM THE NATION said...

afiqkun: I didn't quite get the "hope the past performances will be included during the battle". I'd love to understand that to see what if I can work on that.

Suggestions are always welcome. :)

Julio said...

Idol 100 was a huge effort, and I appreciate it a lot in fact I´m trying to read it all... I love your glee review too...

I don´t get the song battle idea, but I think the head to head poll can be made with performances, I don´t know...

DAM THE NATION said...

Julio: Maybe a battle of the performances would be on another year or something. For now, let's focus on the head-to-head poll/battle between Idols. Hehe. :)

Anonymous said...

sounds exciting!

Anonymous said...

I think season 10 finalists may get a little advantage here (especially Haley) considering they're more well-known (for now) with the hype (if there's still) and people may have forgotten some of the contestants in the past seasons.

afiqkun said...

@DAM : What I mean is that, I am sort of hoping that performances of past idols will be included during the head-to-head battle, as somehow we need to evaluate them though in order vote.

Besides, like anon 2 said, most people may have been forgotten some of the contestants.

:)

afiqkun said...

*as somehow we need to evaluate them though in order to vote.

DAM THE NATION said...

afiqkun: Got it! Don't worry. Everytime I put on a poll about American Idol, I usually write something for people to remember who they are. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...