Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Sing-Off Season 3: Current Hits & '60s Favorites (Episode 3)

written by AL
DAM NATION, Contributor

This episode of The Sing-Off was intense!!! All the groups were so good! Right up to the end, I had no clue who was going home because each group gave at least one great performance. Even some of the groups that I had pegged as "underdogs" showed great improvement and versatility. I was shocked to see Delilah in the bottom two, and really sad to see Kinfolk9 eliminated. Although I like The Yellow Jackets, I think I would have sent them home.

Group Performance: Somewhere Only We Know by Keane



Because the competition is getting so close, no rankings this time, only song ratings. I'll leave the ranking to the judges.

CURRENT HITS

Vocal Point
Never Say Never
I am not a Bieber fan, but this performance was good. I really liked the choreography and amazingly it didn't seem to affect their singing. Really "on point." Pun intended. Deal with it. 8/10

Delilah
Whataya Want From Me
I really liked the arrangement of this song, how it started out with only one singer and then they added one after the other until building to an emotional finish. These girls are great with the dynamics; they can really belt it out but they also know when to hold back. 9/10

Urban Method
Just Can't Get Enough
Stronger vocals from this group this time around. I loved the cascading chord they sounded just before the rap, unfortunately it kind of fell apart after that. Maybe it's just me, but I thought it sounded like a lot of vocal farting by the end there. 7.5/10

Afro-Blue
American Boy
This group is all class! I loved the scatting and the jazzy opening. Their lead singer had such a pretty voice. And the remix on the final verse was tight! I agree with Shawn, "there was nothing wrong with that performance!" 10/10

The Yellow Jackets
Dynamite
I did not like the lead vocals on this song; they were all over the place. The backing vocals were good though, and they held the song together. The boys looked like they had a lot of fun, but they got a little too silly towards the end. 6/10

Kinfolk9
Price Tag
They did really well with this song. I particularly liked the second soloist. The bass line was grooving, the beats were tight, and the short rap near the end added an extra layer. I felt they really came together as a group with this one. 9/10

'60s FAVORITES

Delilah
Heatwave
So cute! I loved the '60s choreography and the little fun bits the girls threw in vocally. I thought the judges were a little too hard on them, looking for more depth in a 60s pop song. Although it wasn't their best performance, I thought Delilah showed some versatility here by doing somthing more fun than they had before. 8/10

Urban Method 
Dance To The Music
I really wasn't expecting anything like this from Urban Method. That one guy singer has amazing range; the lead girl was great, too. They really brought the energy and the fun! Knocking off a point because of the lame air guitar solo (he could have done a little more in that moment). 9/10

Vocal Point
The Way You Look Tonight
This was a very sharp performance. Not only were they dressed sharp (I love fedoras), but they also leaned towards the sharp side with their nasal instrument sounds (didn't love that so much). The lead singer was very smooth though. With at least 3 transitions, they put a lot of effort into it. 8/10

Afro-Blue
I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Another ambitious arrangement, but these singers really pull it off. It sounded like classic motown, jazz, and contemporary pop all at once. The lead singer's runs aren't as strong as some of the other singers in this competition. That's really the only criticism I can make. 9/10

The Yellow Jackets
Can't Take My Eyes Off You
I loved the instrument sounds in the beginning, they were perfect, as well as the "ba da's" in the middle. The lead's tenor was sweet. He really kissed up to Sara, though. Minus points for cheesiness! 8/10

Kinfolk9
Let It Be
This was a really emotional performance. They really sounded like a choir and their lead singer sang his heart out. I'm not sure exactly where they went wrong or why they were sent home. I guess someone had to go. 8.5/10


Next Week: Bracket 2 takes on more current hits and '60s favorites

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree with pretty much everything but man Kinfolk 9 shouldn't have been eliminated. They were my favorite to make it to at least the finals.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...