Monday, November 15, 2010

Album Review: Live It Up - Lee DeWyze

I must admit, I was never a big fan of Lee DeWyze on American Idol. Yes, I recognize his talent but he just didn't do anything special on the show that made me want to root for him - none of them did, actually. So, was I excited to listen to his debut album? Not really. It wasn't even a priority, if I'm being honest.

However, after listening to the whole record, I think this is a pretty solid stuff. Squarely mainstream, though a bit generic, which was pretty much what I was expecting. Most of the tracks manage to be radio-friendly but more eclectic than I thought, and it’s so much more introspective than most of the albums that’s out there now. It is eclectic yet, at the same time, coherent. Will it turn your musical world on its head? Absolutely not, but it is a record that is pleasant enough to listen to and possibly nice to have.

Here's my track-by-track review:

This was actually his original debut single but somehow had a sudden change of heart. Well, I think it was a good call. While this is undeniably a nice tune, I don't think it's the type of song that gets a lot of airplay compared to his actual single. This is more low key with less backing instrumentation, which I love. I think it's a pure authentic Lee song from the vocals down to the lyrics and production. 7/10

A track that is very bouncy in a John Mayer meets Jason Mraz kind of way. So unexpected and so playful for a debut track from Lee. I’m actually surprised at how much I enjoyed this song. It has tons of words, but, hey, that worked with Kris Allen pretty well, with Live Like We're Dying. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied - it gets stuck in my head. Total ear worm. 8/10

Handsome melody with an easy-going guitar strumming. This song seriously has a tendency to be extremely corny but it sounds refreshingly catchy and upbeat that it somehow avoided that route. Sure, this isn't the best track on the record, but it demands attention, which is always a good thing. 7/10

Easily one of the strongest tracks on the album and possibly the most personal for Lee. This is exactly how simple, straightforward love songs are supposed to make you feel. I'd say just indulge and let the wistful spirit of this track wash over you. Enjoy the emotion as it flows. Amazing!! 10/10

Possibly one of the most radio-friendly tracks. The melody is stunning, the verses are great, interesting bridge and it has got excellent drums beats and some Coldplay-like piano. There’s also an urgency to the music that never lets up. Plus, I love it when Lee stretches his vocal range, for a change. Good times. 8/10

I love this jaunty little treat from Lee. Seriously. This song has that fun and bouncy nature, which is very shocking since I didn't know Lee had it in him. Ha! A cherry song, which brings to mind a summer roadtrip with uncertain anticipation and excitement. To be honest, by the time the drums and synths kick into overdrive, I'm swaying to the beat and singing along. This actually reminds me so much of Kris Allen's Alright With Me. 9/10

Great melody and undeniably anthemic. This track has some striking similarities to U2's Beautiful Day - not a bad thing, mind you - which is ironically Lee's coronation song when he won American Idol. The production is high quality complete with strings, keyboards and his soaring vocals. A good song that has a catchy hook and could make its way onto some radio stations soon. 9/10

WOW! I'm very much in love with this song, if nothing else! It really has that jazz feel to it, which is surprising for someone like Lee. The track opens with an odd mix of piano and drums, but once Lee sings a note in this achingly beautiful melody, it's easily irrelevant. This has a nice building and dynamic that it carries over into his vocals - the hitch in Lee’s voice on that soaring bridge is stunning. 10/10

If there has to be one definitive let down track, it would be this. The song is just not unusual enough to stand out. In other words, a bit generic. This is the only track that feels disposable to me, but will likely appeal to a large portion of the fan base that pushed Lee to the win. It's not bad, it just seems more of an afterthought and doesn't make me want to go back and listen to it again. 5/10

Another mellow track, with a smooth hook. The groove is tight and will surely make some part of your body move. Actually, the whole song feels like it's moving along at a steady pace thanks to the drum train, the keyboards and the guitar line, which is actually my favorite part. 7/10

This is a decent song with a solid groove, and probably a nice way to finish the album. However, the melody on this mid-tempo track never really goes anywhere. And while this acoustic guitar strumming ditty - augmented by Lee's vocals - is hardly a disaster, I wish the album ended with something stronger like Brooklyn Bridge or Dear Isabelle. But maybe, that's just me nitpicking. 6/10


After a full listen through this album, it's tough not to try and compare it to the other debut albums of past winners, but they're entirely different entities, so I will not even go there. All I will say is that, Lee's debut effort after American Idol is not something to listen to if you want the boundaries of music challenged. I mean, if you’re looking for something unheard of or for the next step in music culture, this is obviously not it. This record just sits comfortably in convention, tried and tested sounds and methods which have been successful once before. But, that’s not to say that it isn’t entertaining in some way.

The material is tight, and Lee DeWyze's talent remains clear. Eleven tracks crossing between modern pop, folksy, and a hint of rock. Live It Up remains to be a safe release for an Idol winner, but there is no statement being made here.

RATING: 7.8/10

2 comments:

tim said...

cool to find someone who is a hue fan of A-IDOL.

DAM THE NATION said...

Tim: Hey. Thanks for visiting the site. And I suppose you're a fan of American Idol as well?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...