Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Glee Music 2: The Substitute

Here are the songs for next week's episode, The Substitute

Hmm. The songs for next week are just too Broadway for my taste - aside from Gwyneth's version of Cee Lo Green's F*ck You. This is definitely an interesting mix of tracks and, yes, a bit below average than their usual covers. Overall, not the best episode musically, but not bad by any means. I'm curious to what the immediate response is going to be on iTunes next week. I mean, if Glee is able to get two classic showtunes from the '50s into the Top 10, then that's going to be a major feat. Let's see.

ETA: iTunes versions are up!!

Forget You
I LOVE THIS SONG! Seriously. It's a catchy tune in itself, so it sounds fine whoever sings it. But I have to say, I'm not entirely a huge fan of Gwyneth Paltrow's voice but I really enjoy her in this song - even if her vocals seem to be smothered. Haha. This version also seems much more accessible in the sense that there isn't Cee-Lo Green's vocal style in it. 9/10

Make 'Em Laugh
Don't know much about the original, so I'll probably save my judgment on the actual performance. Haha. But seriously, I think Will Schuester sounds great in this song and it seems like a fun number. I just think his laugh is a bit weird. 6/10

Nowadays / Hot Honey Rag
Somehow, I'm pleased with how this sounds. Rachel and Gwyneth Paltrow sound wonderful together. However, it sounds like Rachel really has to restrain herself not to overpower Paltrow's weaker voice. Oh, and the fact that I initially thought that it was Kurt who's singing and not Gwyneth bugs me. 7/10

Singing In The Rain / Umbrella
It's not the worst thing ever but this mash-up felt a bit forced. I don't know. Both songs just didn't mesh well. They should had just kept the two songs separate. That said, I'm pretty sure that the actual performance is going to look fantastic. To me, this is a song that takes some getting use to. It's different. 7/10
DOWNLOAD

DOWNLOAD
 (all 4 tracks)

4 comments:

Will said...

Interesting. I love the film Singin in the Rain and yes, Make Em Laugh is the most unforgettable performance there. It'll be interesting to see Will perform this on Glee.

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: Oh, so Make Em Laugh is part of that film.. Interesting. I'll have to wait and see for that musical sequence this week then. :)

zilltron said...

only 4 songs this week? it oddly excites me when there are less, i feel like episodes will have more plot development if there is not 6 or 7 songs.

DAM THE NATION said...

Zilltron: Yes, only 4 songs for this week. And I agree with you, less songs = more plot development, which is always a good thing. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...