Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Glee Music 2: Special Education

Here it is! The songs for Glee Season 2's Sectionals episode, Special Education.

Overall, this is possibly one of the more unexpected mix of music this season. I mean, the songs are all diverse but it's actually a good thing. Quite frankly, I was expecting to be disappointed, but I'm clearly leaving quite happy. I'm not sure though if this trumps the song choices made at last season's Sectionals, but I'm pretty satisfied. Enjoy!!

(I've Had) The Time Of My Life
Sure, Quinn doesn't have a powerful voice compared to Rachel and Sam's voice isn't as distinct as Finn's but I definitely think they both deserve to be in the spotlight for Sectionals. This, to me, is the perfect competition for them to do so. I love both Rachel and Finn but I'm somehow tired of their duets. This rendition is refreshing, if I'm being honest. Oh, and somehow I'm pretty certain they are just saving Rachel for a diva battle against Sunshine at Regionals and Nationals. 7/10

Valerie
Seriously? Moments like this make the fact that Santana didn't sing at all up until the Madonna episode even more frustrating. I adore Santana's version of this song - it's phenomenal even. Yes, last season's Sectionals solo, Don't Rain On My Parade is still leagues ahead, but this, to me, is the musical moment when everybody turns their head and notices her. Brilliant. 9/10

Hey, Soul Sister
I liked Teenage Dream more, but this one is very enjoyable to listen to as well. Now, seeing the performance and hearing the full song are two different things, but I still get just a little disappointed by it, almost as if I were expecting something more energetic from them. Still, it's a good good song and Blaine (Darren Criss) seems to be the new star rising from this show. 8/10
DOWNLOAD

Dog Days Are Over
Frankly, this would have been a much better Sectionals number than (I've Had) Time Of My Life. Really. Their version of this song is freakin' awesome! I mean, this makes me miss the underdog feel of Glee. This, to me, is a great number for New Directions and I'm really hoping that they'd focus on them as a group more often. I also love that Tina and Mercedes have a duet. Can't wait to see the actual performance on the show. 9/10
DOWNLOAD

Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Kurt Version)
I have to be honest, I really prefer Kurt's voice in a lower register. I'm not liking the key he's singing in - its too high. No, there isn't a pitch problem or anything but its just mere preference. That said, I still think he absolutely does a lovely job on the song. His take on it is full of raw emotions and is beautifully sung. Yes, Rachel's version, to me, is superior, but he obviously holds his own. I just think female power ballads like this aren't his specialty, as I Wanna Hold Your Hand is, in my opinion, his best vocal performance. 8/10
DOWNLOAD

Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Rachel Version)
Rachel never really ceases to amaze me. Great delivery, range is stunning, and the emotions are beautifully expressed. This, to me, is truly a stunning vocal performance, and I don't think she'll disappoint in the acting department either come actual episode. It's just too weird that this isn't what's being sung at Sectionals this season. Seriously. That simple fact blows my little mind! Haha. 9/10
DOWNLOAD

The Living Years
Let's just say, I'm intrigued to see the performance. I love the arrangement and they actually sound lovely but it becomes boring after the first 2 minutes. That being said, it seems like The Hipsters will pose some solid competition for New Directions and The Warblers. Ha! I'm hoping New Directions has some kick ass choreography for their numbers, because I don't know how they can vocally beat the other teams with their song selections - even though I really think Valerie is crazy good. 7/10
DOWNLOAD

 DOWNLOAD
(all 7 songs)

12 comments:

Will said...

Santana is love.

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: I couldn't agree with you more. :)

Denman said...

Oh, and somehow I'm pretty certain they are just saving Rachel for a diva battle against Sunshine at Regionals and Nationals.

I couldn't agree more. Maybe Sunshine will be watching the Sectionals.

Thanks for sharing these I've Had The Time of My Life and Valerie.

DAM THE NATION said...

Den: Anytime. I'll let you know once the other songs are up! :)

Robbie said...

Waaaaaahhhhhhhhhh Dog Days Are Overrrrrr!!!!!

At first I didn't realize it was Tina singing dahil medyo low key. So happy for a Tina/Mercedes duet. :D

Anonymous said...

When are the itunes versions up?

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: This song is just pure love no? Haha! :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: Maybe sometime today.. Not sure though. :) I'll update this once it's available.

Will said...

So how much dyou all wanna bet that ND would win Nationals and Regionals? =p

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: I'm pretty sure they'll win Regionals. I'm not so sure about Nationals though.

Robbie said...

I bet they'll win all the way to Nationals. =)

Di ko like yung Living Years. Sounds boring.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: I have funny feeling they will win Nationals too. So after that, Internationals naman? Haha

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...