Thursday, November 18, 2010

Idol News: Nigel Lythgoe Reveals Major Changes For Season 10

A few months ago, I posted some major changes - aside from the the judging panel revamp - that Idol will implement this season. Well, it looks like those were just some as Nigel Lythgoe announces more major changes that will happen in Season 10 in an interview with TV Guide. And I'd say, these are serious MAJOR overhaul..
  • Semifinal rounds that narrow the Top 24 to the Top 12 have been completely eliminated! However, Nigel didn't elaborate what will replace those rounds and how will the Top 12 be chosen.
  • Contestants this season will be challenged by various contests. For example, finalists will compete to make the best music video to promote themselves most effectively.
  • Contestants will work with dancers and the band to come up with awards-show style performances each week. 
  • And as reported before, themes will focus on decades rather than genres.
  • Nigel also mentioned that they've been seeing an even wider range of talent than in previous seasons, including many country, indie and jazz singers.
  • Season 10 will premiere of January 12, 2011. 
So, my take on this? I'm not so sure. I mean, with the inclusion of dancers and the fact that the contestants need to come up with awards-show type of performances, it seems to me that American Idol is turning out to be a clear copy of The X Factor franchise complete with over the top production numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I've been waiting for American Idol to incorporate these things since an upgrade of this franchise is very much needed, but the US version of X Factor is already on it's way next year - it will also be aired on Fox, for crying out loud - and this will just be too confusing for people.

Somehow, I just want to just let the American Idol I knew go and look at this as a totally different show. With all the changes that they will implement, I don't think it will be the same. For sure, I will still watch the new season because I’m too invested in the show to not give it a shot, but I’m way more pessimistic now than one hour ago. I'm just saying. 

2 comments:

Pao said...

Dancers and music videos? Oh gimmicks.

DAM THE NATION said...

Pao: Maybe. Hehe.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...