Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Glee Season 1: Home Episode Review

Home
Season 1, Episode 16

This episode felt like what Acafellas felt like for me last September. It had a beautiful message and it made me - yes I'll even go there - cry.

I mean, what it lacked in the normal "excitement", it made up for in the emotion. I've never cried so much in a Glee episode. Very touching episode and major kudos to Chris Colfer and Amber Riley especially.

While this episode was a complete opposite to The Power Of Madonna, I think this episode really showed the depth of the series. The beginning was filled with snippets of humor and story, which was hard to achieve. Kurt really showed some spark in this episode, as did Mercedes - I was pleasantly surprised at the vulnerability, especially with Quinn.

I couldn't stop laughing during Kurt's House is Not a Home. I would laugh at the awkwardness between him and Finn, and then I would stop to realize the truth behind the song - loved the Brittana part! Personally, I totally adored the Finn/Kurt dynamic. All the scenes with their parents were just amazing and Chris Colfer murdered every line he had with awesomeness.

The musical numbers were also low-key, which to me supported the low-key theme of the night. Home was probably one of the most poignant songs I have heard. Beautiful was also a surprising gem. I was thinking it would be an over-produced number for a song that is so stripped down.

The only part I kind of didn't like was April at Will's apartment. When I thought the song was going to end, it extended even further. And then it got super weird, to the point where I thought they were going to have sex. It was really weird, but I guess it was also sweet?

Seriously, this is one of my favorite episodes so far. The Chenoweth was a bit of an overload and her songs didn't do much for me because I wasn't as invested in her character or the emotion behind them, but apart from that it was flawless to me.

Oh, and some interesting facts: The songs featured tonight, A House Is Not A Home and One Less Bell To Answer were written by the amazing Burt Bacharach, who used to be married to songwriter Carole Bayer Sager. Ummm.. Burt and Carole, anyone? Crazy cool!

Download the songs HERE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...