Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Glee: Charice is joining the cast!

So after Charice denied the rumors that spread out a few months ago about her being part of the cast, Michael Ausiello of EW.com confirmed that Charice will indeed be part of Glee!
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: Charice is joining Glee.
No, really this time!
When that rumor began to spread earlier this month via her loose-lipped manager, Charice herself shot it down via Twitter. “I just want to let you all know, that it’s not true that I’m going to be on Glee,” she said.
Well, it’s true now! Sources confirm to me exclusively that the international pop star is signed, sealed, and delivered to recur next season as a foreign exchange student whose killer vocals get Rachel (Lea Michele) contemplating murder.
Not literally, mind you. So what do you think?
My thoughts? Well, this may be an unpopular sentiment but I honestly like the idea. Glee is the most popular show in the US right now, and everyone knows that majority of the cast are good singers. Charice, at least to me, is worthy to be in that show.

I don't get why some people are so upset, we knew this role was being casted. And the person they picked had to audition just like everyone else.

Now, I know everyone is passionate about the show - just like me - but I heard reactions over the internet after the news broke that some actually think about stopping to watch Glee because they don't like a particular casting choice. It is a strong reaction. The new episodes haven't even started filming and people are already talking about bailing.

So, who cares if she isn't that good with her English? The show is scripted, so she has PLENTY of time to practice her lines. And even if her accent is still noticeable, they can probably create a storyline for her where she's new to the country and she's a foreign exchange student or something. No big deal. Truth be told, she's no different to the other foreigners who have become famous in America like Heidi Klum, Penelope Cruz, or Jackie Chan. So, I say let's stop the hate, and appreciate!

Please take a deep breath, and relax people. I'm pretty sure the writers have a vision for the show and are working on making it the best it can be. Once you see the new episodes and still don't like the direction Ryan Murphy is moving then you can move on to pursue another interest. Just please give the writers some credit and give them a chance to tell the stories they want to tell.

Enough said.

18 comments:

Chuck Smith said...

I am not surprised with this news. It was so obvious. What's surprising is how big Charice's role is. I don't really like Charice but this major news! A Filipino on a top 20/top 30 American show that produces Billboard chart toppers! Will this help Charice become a bigger star?

DAM THE NATION said...

Yes. This is major. I'm not, in any way, her biggest fan but I think she's good enough to be part of the cast - singing-wise. Nothing against her being part of my favorite scripted show.

I hope both Glee and Charice benefit on this. Personally, I think adding new characters is definitely beneficial to the show. New Direction is too small to compete with Vocal Adrenaline, so it would be in their best interest to add people, I think.

Anonymous said...

Charice on Glee! I LOVE it. Her talent cannot be denied, despite some noisy haters around.

Robbie said...

For me, okay lang. She's a great singer naman and it's actually nice to see a Filipino be in a popular show in the US.

Mag-inarte na yung gusto mag-inarte. I'll wait until the show actually starts before I make a final judgment.

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: Yes. Haters are everywhere. Haha.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: Totally agree. Give this girl a chance. What did she ever do to deserve insults. Sigh. Filipinos are just too.. I don't know. Crabby? Haha.

v said...

the hate mail actually come from the massive fanbase of sarah geronimo.
sarah's loyal fans cannot accept the fact that charice, who won second place in a contest sarah hosted is actually a bigger star than their idol.
charice refers to sarah as her idol. well, with an international career that only filipino singers can dream of, naturally, her fans are a litrle jealous.

its sad, to think that sarah and charice come from the same network, and they are both pinoys, you would think fans would unite.

i guess sarah's fans should accept the fact that sarah is the number one singer/actress in the philippines right now by virtue of sold out concerts,hit albums and the number one of all time in the philippines.

but thats just as far as sarah would go for now.

they should be supportive of the first pinoy since jocelyn enriquez to break the billboard charts. and at number 8 at that.

THE SADDEST FACT IS, CHARICE MAY BE THE ONLY FILIPINO ARTIST TO EVER HAVE A CHANCE AT AN INTERNATIONAL CAREER.

DAM THE NATION said...

I'm not so sure about the Sarah bit but it's really too sad to think that most of the negative comments are coming from Filipinos themselves. So much for Pinoy pride. Haha.

Well, I don't understand the hate to begin with.

Paolo said...

Dam, I noticed that you added something on this post. I just want to thank you for pointing out my wrongs on my post. I know I did wrong and I thought about it when I went to school. My post is too negative and devastating. Everything you said really makes sense to me.

And I suppose you think of me as a very bad person and one of those crabby minded. Anyway, it's fine, I think that's how I came off with my post. :-D

DAM THE NATION said...

No Pao. I do understand your point. I mean, of course, everyone's entitled to their opinion and what you think about this whole 'thing' is just as valid as the others. And I'm not just singling you out. I'm pertaining to people in general. :) Don't worry, we're good.

Anonymous said...

this is something to look forward to. and the haters... c'mon! kung paano tayo naging proud kay PACQUIAO, can't we feel the same for CHARICE?!

- kent

DAM THE NATION said...

Kent: True! :)

Paolo said...

Dam, I am glad we're good. And I just want you to know how I respect you for being open minded to such thing. Thank you. I knew that lots of people will react to me badly but your comment was the one that really opened me up, maybe they think I am crabby but I don't think I am pulling her down. Thank you talaga for pointing out the things that tend to be wrong on my post.

DAM THE NATION said...

Pao: My post was just to give naman my take on the whole thing. But as I've said, to each his own. :)

Anonymous said...

we can't really say how this is gonna turn out.. all we can do is wait till the show airs and see for ourselves..

its good dat she is making a name for herself and making Filipinos proud... but at the same time there is this risk of putting Filipinos to shame.. which is what scares me... a tiny slip up. and all those haters would go... "see this is why she shouldn't be on the show" and then comes the racism and stuff..... sigh... i'm being paranoid.. LOL...

DAM THE NATION said...

hmm.. what possible tiny slip up is there for her to commit? i'm thinking of something but i can't. hehe.

anyway, i really think Charice will b fine. let's just hope for the best. :)

Anonymous said...

her acting.. her english.. (i know it's scripted but still..) well i dunno...

yeah.. let's just hope for the best.. :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Yes, let's just hope for the best.

But, I personally wouldn't worry about her acting and accent. I mean, most of the current cast were starters and novices before Glee. So, there's that. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...