Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Glee Season 1: Funk Episode Review

Funk
Season 1, Episode 21

I knew it!! This switch of Theatricality and Funk episodes would be bad. Seriously.

This episode suffered a lot from the switch, which was officially the worst idea ever. It made the storylines very disconnected and it would somehow confuse the hell out of a casual viewer. Sure, Fox got the sweeps numbers they wanted out of Theatricality but the move made the story all over the place. I personally hated how the episode moved around.

Clearly, this episode was not one of the show's best but it was decent - good enough even. It was fun and light. The Quinn-Mercedes subplot was good. Yes, the friendship between them seemed a little forced in this episode but the idea was somehow heartwarming.

The Will-Sue storyline, on the other hand, was very strange. It was so embarrassing that I could hardly watch it. Plus, it made no sense. The Sue Sylvester they built up over the season would never have fallen for that. Gah! I did think the pearls on Sue was hilarious though. I kept staring at them and laughing hysterically. Sue + Pearls + Track Suit = EPIC!

As for Jesse St. James? I just want to punch him in the face. Really. What he did to Rachel was cruel, which I guess was really the point. Haha. But still.. Oh, and I hated that NOT one person hugged Rachel when she was miserable. Why does EVERYONE get MORE sympathy than Rachel - even the EVIL Sue? Poor Rachel.

Now, the musical performances were decent-to-good. Good Vibrations with Puck, Mercedes and Finn sounded great and all but I didn't care much about it. Another One Bites The Dust of Vocal Adrenaline was weak and soulless, although I think that was really the point of that performance. Their cover of Beck's Loser was probably one of my favorite performances in this episode. I found it to be perfect for Sheets N Things. Haha. Shuester's Tell Me Something Good was so uncomfortable and awkward , that I'm going to forget that I ever saw that. Haha.

Musically, my favorite song was Quinn's version of It's A Man's Man's World. I thought she sounded surprisingly amazing with all her riffs and whatnot. However, why couldn't she just have a NORMAL solo singing performance with just a microphone? I mean, it would have made the lyrics much more meaningful. I could hardly concentrate with the dancing baby mommas behind her.

Give Up The Funk was really entertaining though. High energy with some very good dancing from almost everyone. Brittany, in particular, was amazing. Did anyone notice her famous "cartwheel with no hands" and then she goes right into a split? WTF! Haha.

The whole episode was alright, but I'm hyped for the Finale next week so my mind was in the wrong place. Haha.

Download the songs HERE.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't hate the episode because it had some funny lines and good scenes in it (shut it puckerman/give up the funk), but it wasn't the best either.

The Will/Sue thing made no sense at all for me.
Rachel being egged was horrible and Jesse being mean was not explained at all..very confusing storyline.
The songs were good but not great.

DAM THE NATION said...

true. :)

download glee episodes said...

really good episode and i really enjoy this one.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...