Saturday, January 21, 2012

American Idol Season 11: Pittsburgh Auditions

Wow. It looks like Nigel Lythgoe's been listening to the fans - an episode with NO actual joke acts! Is this a first? Haha.

Yes, I've been one of those people who complained when there was so little footage from people that actually made it through and too much of the annoying singers. I'm not in anyway missing the ridiculing of delusional contestants, but there's something really "off" with this episode.

Too many "Good, nothing special" singers are being put through to Hollywood. Somehow, they need to show a good balance of good, middle of the road, and bad singers. I mean, that comparison will make the just good singers look better than they really are. Just saying.

Here's my review on the people who got featured on today's episode:

DISCLAIMER: Just an opinion based on the auditions. It may change as the season progresses so haters back off. Haha.

Heejun Han
Wow. This audition was actually much better than I expected. Who knew? I admit, he seemed a little nervous and scared at first and he needs to work on his diction, but his tone is gorgeous. Plus, he's pretty hysterical and very likable. 8.5/10

Reed Grimm
Family Matters Theme as an audition piece? Haha. Interesting song choice. I don't find his voice particularly stellar, but it's solid. I was hoping that I saw a little more of what he can actually do. To me, he's a cross between Casey Abrams and Taylor Hicks. 8/10

Aaron Marcellus
Isn't he Aaron Sanders of last season? Haha. I think he's a good singer, I just don't think he's a viable recording artist. Sorry. 7.5/10

Chase Likens
Eh. Not a fan. Next! 5/10

Samantha Novacek
Why was her sister ON THE FLOOR? HAHA. Well, stupid planking gimmick notwithstanding, this audition was actually pretty impressive. Nice tone, strong vocals and I appreciated the fact that she didn't oversing. 7.5/10

Creighton Fraker
There's something about his voice that's incredibly annoying. I don't know. He can sing - no question about that - but his tone is unpleasant, the high notes verge on irritating and he needs to lay off with those runs. TOO. MUCH. 6.5/10

Eben Franckewitz
Justin Bieber? Nah. The kid has potential but he's too raw for this competition. Heck, his voice even sounded like it hasn't matured yet. Remember Jaycee Badeaux from last season? Eben would get destroyed in the competition if he goes through. Just saying. 7/10

Travis Orlando
I seriously felt uncomfortable with how desperate Travis was to make it through and wish that his real life didn't seem so hopeless. I hate to be harsh about these sob stories, but come on!! Now, admittedly, he still has that nice tone, but his singing sounds affected and I didn't really like how he phrased the song.  6.5/10

Erika Van Pelt
Aside from Heejun, this girl made the most of an impression. I mean, I'm intrigued by he blue eyed soul vibe and somehow she gives me an Adele-esque quality with her interesting alto. Heck, even her runs were nicely placed. Looking forward to her. 8.5/10

Hallie Day
While I do think that she has a strong voice and good enough phrasing, I didn't like her song choice - I despise it, actually - her tone was strangely off and there's something so bland about her. That said, there's no denying that she has the chops and it looks like the judges love he. We'll see. 7.5/10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Appreciate the recap, but Pittsburgh has an h at the end. Something us yinzers are sensitive about!

DAM THE NATION said...

My bad. Sorry. I edited it already. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...