Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Voice 8: Playoffs #TeamPharrell

I've said this before and I'll say it again, #TeamPharrell has, arguably, the best team this season. If he handles them well moving forward and not sabotage his team just like what he did last season, I can see a couple of people who can go deep in the competition. No, I don't get the hype of the other one, but what do I know. Haha.

On with the show!

5. Sawyer Fredericks
Trouble
Overrated. I will NEVER understand how he's considered a frontrunner. Yes, he has a pretty voice - especially for his age - but then, his performances have been very tentative and boring including this one. I don't know. He better pull off a song out of his wheelhouse, and we'll talk. For now, he does nothing to me. 5

4. Lowell Oakley
Jealous
He has certain quirks that may come off really annoying, but I can't deny the fact that his version of Jealous was actually pretty decent - I was expecting this to be a total train wreck. His vocals were mostly on point, his falsetto was surprisingly solid, and I found some of his phrasing choices interesting. This was a lot better than his last performance. 6.5

3. Caitlin Corporale
Best Thing I Never Had
Vocally, Caitlin nailed this song almost flawlessly - she hit one bum note though towards the end - but other than her impressive grasp with pitch, there's something very calculated about this performance. She did loosen up as the number went on, but with a talent pool this deep, she can't afford to be just a terrific voice. 7

2. Koryn Hawthorne
How Great Thou Art
I must admit, this was my least favorite Koryn vocal performance to date. No, she didn't hit any awful note, but her vibrato was all over the place. I'm not sure if it was nerves or just her vocal technique, but it was distracting. That being said, there's something about this performance that was undeniably riveting. I felt her passion and the emotion she put to this was overwhelming. 7.5

1. Mia Z
Ain't No Sunshine
This was exceptional. Her tone sounded silky, her pitch was impeccable, some of her choices with the melody was very informed, and the subtlety and nuance in some parts were tasteful. I thought it was smart of Pharrell to advise her not to use her whistle tone this time and she was still really awesome. She needs to work on her diction, but other than that, she's golden. 8.5


WHO SHOULD ADVANCE?
Mia Z
Koryn Hawthorne
Caitlin Carporale

WHO WILL ADVANCE?
Mia Z
Sawyer Fredericks
Koryn Hawthorne

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...