Thursday, September 6, 2012

Movie Review: The Campaign

The Campaign had all the right mix of everything from the amusing and perhaps timely premise to an excellent casting, but somehow, the film felt oddly underwhelming.

Maybe because I was really hoping for some sharp satire on American politics coming out of the film. It started off as if it was going somewhere with a concrete "commentary", but it all felt like there was nothing more meaningful beyond the actual premise. It didn't hurt the film in any way, but it also didn't add anything to make this a cut above the usual comedy flick.

But that's not to say the film was drab, because it wasn't. It was actually quite funny. Sure, there were points where the humor fell flat as if they were trying too hard, but there were also some surprisingly solid humor without the usual overkill. I guess, aside from the relatively solid writing, the cast made it leaps and bounds more hysterical.

I'm not exactly a big fan of Will Ferrell, but he gave his character a little depth than I expected. I thought his over-the-top and dramatically hysterical performance was spot on. Zach Galifianakis, on the other hand, stole the show for me. He was absolutely adorable and I loved his delivery and he actually added depth to the character who could have easily been one-dimensional.

One quibble I had with the film, aside from the one I mentioned earlier, was that predictable ending. It was so weak, it felt like an afterthought.

Overall, The Campaign was a fun movie with some noticeable flaws. If you're looking for something masterfully done and thought provoking, look elsewhere. But if you just want to see two stars who are funny be funny despite some of the film's limitations, then I think this is it.

RATING
7/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...