Sunday, September 2, 2012

X Factor Philippines: Top 8

So this week's theme was OPM. Let me just go straight to the point and say that while I wasn't really expecting much from this episode, a couple of people did surprise me. To be honest,  I thought KZ was going to win X Factor Philippines in a cakewalk - especially now that AKA JAM got eliminated shockingly early - but someone's giving her a run for her money. Of course, that's subjective, but whatever. 

Anyway, on with the review!

DISCLAIMER: I am no expert, but this is my opinion - to each his own - and yours will be in the comments below! Haha.

08. Kedebon
Kailangan Kita
.. pero hindi ka namin kailangan, Kedebon! Sigh. This performance just showed all his vocal flaws from his poor breath control to his weak lower range. Plus, there were so many off-key moments that they were enough to fill a small sinking boat. Why does Kedebon hate our country? This was so bad it seemed like revenge. Haha. 3/10

07. Take Off
Yakap Sa Dilim
Vocally, this was not as good as their Dreaming Of You version last week, but I thought they sang this proficiently hitting most of the notes right - there were clearly some rough spots in there. The harmonies were decent - although I wasn't really sure if they were just singing in unison instead - and the arrangement was kind of interesting. The staging looked weird, but I digress. Take Off is a boyband! Haha. 6/10

06. Jeric Medina
Akin Ka Na Lang
I kind of enjoyed this performance from Jeric just because this was slightly more uptempo compared to his usual performances - something quite refreshing from him. I loved that it was jaunty and it sit well within his vocal range. He did sound a little strained in parts and his pitch were, once again, a tad uneven especially in the beginning, but I appreciated the fact that he stepped outside his comfort zone. Nice pleasant effort from him, but he needs to be careful because the competition is getting a little tough and quite unpredictable. 6.5/10

05. Daddy's Home
Paraiso
Did they really think printing their kids' faces on their shirts a good idea? Seriously? The performance, in general, was good. I did like their vocal dynamics especially the last few bars and their harmonies and solo performances were pretty tight. I could've done it without the choir though. I mean, four people were already singing on stage and bringing in the choir just felt weird. Oh, and when the kids came out - also singing! - I just lost it. I don't know. Everything seemed calculated - and yes, I blame the ridiculous staging. 6.5/10

04. Gabriel Maturan
Rainbow
Well, this was better than I thought it would be. His soothing tone was perfect for the most part until his falsetto came in. Ha. Yes, the falsetto added a certain dynamics to his vocals, but he went a little shrill on some of the higher notes. I was pretty impressed though when he successfully hit a note using his false and went down with some interesting vocal runs, but that was it. If he only tried to not just limit his singing to that range of his voice throughout most of the song, this performance would've been more interesting. 6.5/10

03. KZ Tandingan
Ang Huling El Bimbo
The slightly stripped down vibe on this Eraserheads ditty was a nice stab at something different, but somehow it ended up hitting this middle-ground that wasn't quite enough. Don't get me wrong, this was a highly competent rendition of the song and she sounded glorious, but there was something in it that just didn't quite connect. Maybe the awful dress? Haha. I thought her phrasing was amazing though and the vocal dynamics were quite stellar. 7/10

02. Allen Sta. Maria
Kailan Pa Man
Slight articulation issues notwithstanding, this was very good and in fact, Allen's best performance yet. I thought that the song gave her a chance to show off a different side of her voice, the nuance and the vocal control that's incredibly impressive. She also did better this time in conveying some emotions. Yes, I liked Carol Banawa's clear tone on this song, but Allen's vocals were amazing. 8/10

01. Joan Da
Nobela
Interesting vocal choices. Soulful delivery. Incredible vocal restraint. Excellent phrasing. Lovely interpretation. Effortless vocals. One of the more interesting performances and possibly my favorite from Joan. When she sings softly and quietly subdued, she's just brilliant. No shouting or screaming or any over-the-top runs. She interpreted the song beautifully and everything was just wonderful. I felt the emotion pouring out of her and the vocals were lovely, restrained, nuanced and absolutely sublime. 9.5/10

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with you except that Gabriel should at least have gotten a lower score than Daddy's Home! :-)

Anonymous said...

Joan Da? come on.......i cant feel any emotions....

DAM said...

Anonymous 2: That's subjective. I did, but I respect your opinion. :)

Olivr said...

I agree Joan did the best performance last night. She did the most unique and refreshing rendition without sounding too surreal. And kedebon should never evr be there in the first place. btw, just a correction, I think the right title of that Carol banawa hit sang by Allen last night was Hanggang May Kailanman. Anyway, I pretty much share similar sentiments with you.

VFTW Pinoy said...

Vote for the Worst Pinoy supports Kedebon! VFTW!

Anonymous said...

Kedebon, like the great Charlie Chaplin was ridiculed for his lack in good looks and size but he wrote and sang one of the most endearing songs of all time, "Smile". If Kedebon is still in the competition because the judges sees deeper viewers do not. A talent that is more than skin deep with "wits" all you have to do is go back to the early audition stages to recognize what the judges see.

Charice's girls have shown the most remarkable improvement. I think KZ and Allen will be the top 2 competitors for the title.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...