Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Voice 3: Blind Auditions Part 7

Is it just me or has this thing been going on forever? Haha. I don't know.

Somehow the talent this season has been a little lackluster. You may argue that The Voice has better set of contestants than, say, X Factor US, but let's also consider the fact that almost all the singers in this show are practically pros - hence, no joke contestants like the other reality singing show. But, I digress.

Anyway, let's get on with the contestants

Sylvia Yacoub
Only Girl (In The World)
Seriously? I'm surprised the judges turned for her because her rendition of this Rihanna ditty was a complete mess. Her pitch was all over the place, I cringed at some of her superfluous runs and I didn't care for her tone at all. She was passable at best. 4.5/10

Charlie Rey
Home
Not a fan of his phrasing, but I really think that Charlie has a lovely tone. I wish his voice had a little more depth, but that's something he can fix eventually. Plus, he seems likable. 7/10

Amanda Brown
Valerie
I'm not sure if this was the right song choice for her voice as it highlighted the thinness of her upper register, but I think she's more interesting than some of the girls in the competition. And yes, I was surprised that she almost didn't get a chair to turn compared to Sylvia. 6.5/10

Cassadee Pope
Torn
Arguably, the best of the night, but that's not saying much. I find her lower range uncomfortably weak, but she's mostly on pitch with good dynamics. 7/10

----------

Yolanda Barber
I have to include her in this recap. Yes, I bitched about Terisa Griffin and Nicole Henson being too dated when it comes to singing, but I didn't disregard the fact that they are good singers. No, I don't think they will win, but I can't really hate them for being part of, at the very least, the battle round. So while I feel the same way towards Yolanda, I seriously think that at least one of the judges should've turned for her. This is THE VOICE and she has that. I mean, Sylvia over her? Come on! Heck, her voice is even stronger than Terisa and Nicole.

2 comments:

X said...

Once again a fairly poor night for talent. I think Charlie was probably the best for me. His voice was not very strong, but he had a nice soothing quality to it.

The rest of them, I probably wouldn't have turned my chair if I were a judge, especially not for Sylivia or Cassadee (I thought her rendition of that sound was borderline awful... her voice wasn't terrible, but that song wasn't meant for her style of voice).
Amanda was decent, but not great by any stretch of the imagination.

I want to know who's dumb idea it was to give each coach 16 people this time around. I thought the show dragged enough last season when there were only 12 (?) per judge.

Anonymous said...

Cassadee <3 I seriously love that there are two people on the show this year that I have met and connected with over music. It makes me proud.

#teamjoeandcass

p.s. listen to cassadee's full version, it's better than the live (not that the live version was bad or anything lol)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...