Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Voice 3: Live Playoffs Part 1

Finally! We're here at the live shows, but everyone will be competing, yet again, with the people on their own team. Shocker. Haha. As much as I don't want to compare, I think the talent on this show is better than The X Factor US, but I find them less interesting.

The stage looked nice, Christina Millian was still annoying as heck and the judges were decent. But wait, does Cee Lo actually look at himself in the mirror when he dresses like that and say, "Damn! I look good!"? HAHA. I digress.

Without further ado, recap after the jump!

TEAM BLAKE

05. Julio Cesar Castillo
El Rey
Come on Julio. Seriously? I admit, I hated him when he got picked instead of MarissaAnn during the Knockout Rounds - he's mediocre compared to MarissaAnn - but this was just annoying. Yes, he sounded solid, but the song choice was ridiculously predictable. I don't know. Julio SCREAMS cannon fodder. However, looking at how the crowd enjoyed this performance, I have a funny feeling he'll stick around for another round. Just not a fan. 4/10

04. Terry McDermott
Don't Stop Believing
I love his voice, but I found his song choice disappointing at best. Don't Stop Believing, to me, is a tacky and overdone song and one can only do so much with it. I thought he pushed his vocals too hard that it felt like he was shouting and his presentation felt a little lifeless. It bordered on almost karaoke if not for the liberties he took with the melody. 5.5/10

03. Cassadee Pope
My Happy Ending
The wobbly vibrato machine! Haha. True, this was the best I've heard of her, but I just don't get the hype. She's the lead singer of Hey Monday. Great! Can we move on? I thought she sounded exactly like Avril - take it however you want - and her screechy tone towards the end didn't sit with me that well. That said, I did like the small yet noticeable changes on the melody so that's a good thing. Haha. 6/10

02. Michaela Paige
Everybody Talks
The song choice could've been a disaster, but she shockingly did better than I expected. I didn't think she deserved all the praise she got from the judges, but she's a strong performer and the song somehow suited her punk/pop persona. She's a better singer than most at her age, but I wish she was more remarkable to make a good enough impact. 7/10

01. Liz Davis
Independence Day
Though totally karaoke, she ranked first on Team Blake by virtue of default as this was vocally the strongest of the group. She started off quite well and I liked how she attacked the song when she hit the chorus. She did hit a couple of bum notes towards the end and she will always be a generic blonde country singer to me, but she did well. 7/10

TEAM ADAM

05. Joselyn Rivera
Give Your Heart A Break
Strangely, this Demi Lovato song felt like it was WAY too big for her voice, when she somehow got to pull of Beyonce's Love On Top last week. I'm not sure if she was a tad under pitch or just the lack of breathe support. I don't know. Everything just fell apart towards the end. I didn't think her tone suited the song and she hit a couple of wonky notes. Such a shame. 5/10

04. Loren Allred
All Around The World
Loren needed to deliver an outstanding performance as she had almost ZERO exposure prior to this live show - I seriously doubt she'll get through on public vote against heavy hitters like Melanie, Bryan and Amanda. Sadly, her song choice was a bit underwhelming. Sure, it's refreshing, but the song restrained her voice the entire time except for that incredible ending note. Her vocals were sexy and sultry, but I don't think it's enough to make a lasting impression. 6/10

03. Melanie Martinez
Hit The Road Jack
While she didn't exactly try to sing out of her comfort zone, which I thought was a fairly safe move, Melanie still gave a solid yet predictable performance. Her interpretation of the song was interesting if a little low key, she actually had more vocal dynamics here compared to any of her previous performances and her vocal though still cutesy was actually quite strong. Plus, she looked surprisingly comfortable on stage. Melanie is highly recognizable from her voice down to her looks, so I don't think she'll have any problems standing out on Team Adam. 7.5/10

02. Bryan Keith
Iris
This was leaps and bounds better than his Knockout Round performance! I though his raspy baritone voice worked pretty well with the song and his pitch was mostly spot on. His voice during the chorus, in particular, was studio quality magic. His stage performance needed some work, but that's me nitpicking. Very nice. 8.5/10

01. Amanda Brown
Dream On
Holy crap! Can we just end this season and give the title to her already? She a vocal beast, she's unbelievably versatile, she has a hardcore edge to her and shockingly charismatic. This performance seriously gave me chills. I feel like it could have been so easy for a lot of people to flub those screaming high notes - Danny Gokey's atrocious take on the song, for example - but Amanda delivered them effortlessly. She may have hit some flat notes during the verses, but that last note pretty much zoned everyone else to oblivion. Possibly one of the best things I've heard on this show EVER. 9.5/10

3 comments:

MissInggrid said...

I love Amanda!!! #TeamAdam for the winner! :)

Anonymous said...

I voted for Cassadee, Bryan, Amanda and Michaela (:

Desperate Houseboy said...

Amanda Brown
.

.

.
.
.
Michaela Paige
Liz Davis
Bryan Keith
Loren Allred
Cassadee Pope
Joselyn Rivera
Melanie Martinez
Terry McDermott
Julio Cesar Castillo

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...