Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Voice 3: Top 10

Look at what a week can do at my overall impression of all these singing shows. Haha. Yes, I'm suddenly on board with The Voice and somehow loathing The X Factor even more. There were a couple of terrible performances, but most of them were pretty spectacular. I thought four of them were quite impressive and interchangeable as far as I'm concerned. Show them how it's done no?

Anyway, recap after the jump! 

10. Sylvia Yacoub
Girl On Fire
So this was the week wherein Sylvia decided that it was in her best interest to scream at us? Why were you so angry? Haha. I admit, I was loving the performance when she was on the piano, but then she stood up and everything just went downhill. The chorus was just painful and she was off pitch the whole time that midway through her performance, the melody stood up and walked away. Haha. In a week where everyone almost gave stellar performances, this one stood out like a soar thumb. 4/10

09. Trevin Hunte
Scream
Yes, I was glad that he did try to mix it up with the song choice, but he was just sharp the whole entire time. Parts of it were bearable, but when he started screaming - oh, the irony! -  it turned out to be an absolute disaster. I don't know. Somehow, he managed to slaughter an entire village of notes with that performance. Haha. 4/10

08. Terry McDermott
Summer of 69
Nothing wrong with his vocals - he's actually more on pitch this time than last week - but can't he or Blake pick a song in the last 20 years? This was his newest one and it's a song from 1984! Haha. Terry is an excellent singer, but his song choices were too dated to make a lasting impression. Take a risk, Terry! 5/10

07. Cody Belew
Crazy In Love
This was so bad it was good. Haha. I did get what Cody was trying to go for with this performance, but it did somehow make him look like a joke contestant - especially since he didn't go all out as he could have. Maybe a glitter explosion of some sort? Haha. I thought his vocals were uneven and the performance was bit of a  mess, but at least he was entertaining to a point where he actually looked like he came out of Adam Lambert's closet. 5.5/10

06. Nicholas David
Lean On Me
The song suited his voice perfectly and I thought he sounded really good, but there was something about his phrasing that didn't quite sit with me well. I thought there was a little too much of it on the verses and the liberties he took were a bit odd for my taste. I still dig the hipster Jesus, but he's just kind of there for me. Sorry. 6.5/10

05. Bryan Keith
New York State Of Mind
I would've liked more soul to his version, but he did sound amazing on this. His voice was just sublime on this tune that it somehow covered for his lackluster stage presence. The arrangement could've been better as I felt like it didn't go anywhere, but again, his voice sounded spectacular. 8/10

04. Amanda Brown
Stars
.. and yes, she's back! This just proved why Cee Lo will never win this show. Haha. Seriously. How did he let her go? I'm just glad The Voice did change the format or she would've been cut during the Battle Rounds. Now, Amanda's performance of this obscure Grace Potter song wasn't as jawdropping as her Dream On rendition, but this was still pretty amazing. Vocally, Amanda was flawless. I thought she had great vocal dynamics with amazing pitch and she seemed well connected with the song. I'm hoping the song choice wouldn't hurt her, but I digress. As for you Christina, shut up. 8.5/10

03. Melanie Martinez
Seven Nation Army
WOW. Aside from the fact that she looked different - in a good way - with a straight hair, her version of Seven Nation Army was gorgeous! It did lack a bit of intensity, but her interpretation was on a different league. I thought her vocals had more power than usual and I'm just in awe as she was able to pull this one out of herself. This was the Melanie I fell in love during the blind auditions. Good job! 8.5/10

02. Dez Duron
Feelin' Good
There was a part of me that felt like I was being tricked. Haha. Seriously. Was I in bizarro land or was Dez suddenly became a totally different contestant? I NEVER expected to say this, but he actually did an excellent job with this song. Sure, he was still cheesy, but he showed some great control to his vocals, his notes were precise with a surprisingly pleasant tone, and his vocal dynamics were pretty good. Yes, a big step forward. He's no Michael Buble, but this was seriously good and he looked particularly spectacular tonight. 8.5/10

01. Cassadee Pope
Over You
Readers of this site would know that I'm not Cassadee's biggest fan, but this was a thing of beauty! At first, I thought it was the beautiful song that made this performance special, but she actually showed some brilliant vocal control, a couple of beautiful little touches, and great tone. She also made some notes be so pure and clear and used her vibrato for emphasis. Oh, and this was her most passionate performance yet. 8.5/10


PREDICTION
Sylvia Yacoub
Cody Belew

3 comments:

dizzygirl said...

i think i know now y i dont get bryan. i watched this show as i was doing some work so i was just basically listening to it, and for the first time, i liked him! you are so right about his 'lackluster stage presence'!

team adam did great plus cassadee who had a divine performance. great episode overall.

i am tempted to read your results blog but i'll just wait til i finish downloading the ep. :)

X said...

I agree with your number 1. By far, Cassadee's best performance.

#2: Melanie - love her every week. Nice to hear that she made the iTunes top 10.

#3: Here's where it gets a little tricky, since there were a few people who had their best performances. I would have to give #3 to Dez. Normally can't stand him, but he did an exceptional job with that (highly overdone) song.

#4&5: Not sure who to give this #4 to, so I'll call it a tie for Amanda and Terry. And I agree with you on Terry... he needs to sing something that's not almost 30 years old (or older).

#6: Nicholas - wasn't overwhelmed by this performance. Probably my least favorite of his.

#7: Bryan - not a fan of his voice, but this week he was ok.

#8: Sylvia - I actually thought this was her best performance... which isn't saying much since she's been towards the bottom of my list every week.

#9: Trevin - I give him points for sticking to his guns and telling CeeLo what he wanted... however, it was really bad (in my opinion). Easily his worst so far.

#10: Cody - awful, awful, awful. Did I mention it was awful. Can't believe you put this crap higher than Terry.

Overall, it was a pretty good show.

danni said...

Wow, that show was amazing. The talent is just so immense. I'm actually with Adam, Cassadee should do softer songs or country and shy away from her pop/rock that she has been used to. I'm so proud to see how much she is growing. (:

As for other contestants, I am really loving most of them. Dez, my god that guy's lower register is amazing and just.. mmm. Okay lol, I have always liked Melanie but wasn't fond of a lot of the song choices the past couple of weeks but this week.. whoa. I never really liked the song but she made me like it. Hmm, I also really liked Amanda's performance this week. I don't know that song, but she made it sound so lovely. I'm not going to go into negatives on contestants because that's not nice. Haha.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...