Saturday, May 15, 2010

American Idol 9: Top 3 Judges' Song Choice

So, Crystal Bowersox, Casey James and Lee DeWyze have all received texts on their hometown visits today, revealing their Judges Choice songs for Tuesday. And here they are:
  • Ellen DeGeneres picked Maybe I’m Amazed by Paul McCartney for Crystal Bowersox.
  • Kara Dioguardi and Randy Jackson chose Daughters by John Mayer for Casey James.
  • Simon Cowell chose Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen for Lee DeWyze.
Hm. I'm speechless. The only good song is the one Ellen chose for Crystal. Seriously. That, to me, is one of the best McCartney songs and she could do SO MANY things with it - rock it or make it "quieter". I'm not sure about Daughter for Casey James but I am interested to see what he can do with the song. He needs to be careful though that the arrangement does not come over as a sleepy performance.

Now, as for Lee Dewyze. Simon. Really? I get the distinct impression that Simon Cowell is now trying to throw Lee under the bus. Not only is the song Hallelujah nowhere close to Lee’s style of music - lyrically or in genre - but it has been done already this season  by Tim Urban! WTF Cowell? Did you suddenly develop Alzheimer’s? Do you want a better version to come out of Season 9?

I mean, unless Lee does some kind of David Cook-esque/Kris Allen-esque TOTAL re-arrangement of the song, I see this ending terribly. Ugh. I don't know what to say but Good Luck Lee! You will need lots of it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...