Thursday, May 13, 2010

American Idol 9: Top 4 - Who's Going Home?

This week's exit will be determined by the strength of each contestant’s fan base and nothing else. Seriously.

Now, I think that anybody could go except for Crystal Bowersox. Lee Dewyze is a possibility after his underwhelming solo performance last night although with momentum on his side, there is an outside chance that he will make an appearance in the Bottom 2. More likely, it will be Mike and Casey as this week's Bottom pair.

Casey James sang really well last night - both solo and duet - but I’m still not totally convinced that he's safe for tonight's elimination. I think that as good as Casey was this week, it’s the week after a poor performance that often leads to elimination and it would not be a surprise. I don't know. Frankly, I will be pleasantly surprised if Casey pulls out one more week but if he doesn’t, at least he will go out on a high note and won’t be blamed for some other worthy contestant getting booted too early.

As for Michael Lynche, his performance this week was safe and - to some extent - bland. He performed second, which is the death spot on a Final 4 night and he’s been in the Bottom group a number of times. I don’t think his performance would have made casual viewers rush to the phone out of love or pity, so should be a little worried if I'm Big Mike.

That being said, I’m not going to rule out a possible shock boot either. I think it could be Lee, if that’s the case, but of course any of them are up for grabs as far as that goes. But if I'll base it on my American Idol History Fun Facts, history suggests that except for Season 7, most of the biggest shock eliminations on Idol history have occurred during the Top 4 Results night on an odd-numbered Idol season: Tamyra Gray (Season 1), LaToya London (Season 3), and Chris Daughtry (Season 5). So, will the Top 4 curse strike again? Maybe.

Oh well. I'll take a limb on this AGAIN and say that Michael Lynche is, AGAIN, my best bet to leave this week. I guess we’ll find out tonight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...