Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Glee Season 2: Duets Episode Review

Duets
Season 2, Episode 4

I freakin' LOVE this episode. Seriously. I enjoyed it so much that I only noticed that Sue and Emma weren't in the episode until I saw the preview for next week. Haha. I admit, I wasn't expecting much this week but the episode totally had that great early Season 1 feel to it. Somehow, it reminded me why I started and fell in love with Glee.

Now, like last week, this episode had great musical performances that were relevant and yes, a plot and character development, but unlike Grilled Cheesus it wasn't damn depressing. Hands down, one of my favorite episodes EVER.

It's actually interesting how Glee keeps on topping their previous episode every single week. Good job!

THE GOOD:

- Can I say finally? Ha! There was shockingly a good amount of plot and the whole episode just didn't feel overwhelmed by the songs, like I've said. Oh, and everyone who are usually on the back burner are finally moved to the foreground - Mike Chang, Brittany, Tina and Quinn! This, to me, felt like a return to form for Glee.

Quinn and Sam have some SERIOUS CHEMISTRY going on and their last scene together made me smile like a retard. Really. I can't get enough of them!!

- The vastly improved acting of Dianna Agron (Quinn) was very noticeable. I mean, she showed some flashes of improvement in last week's episode, but here, she really proved how much better of an actress she is compared to last season.

- Rachel and Finn was adorable, more so than at any point they've been in a while. Haha. They usual bore or annoy me but I kind of liked them in this episode.

- It was nice to see Mike Chang get some air time, after his invisibility last season. Tina got some time as well, and though it still wasn't enough, it's a good start.

- Brittany and Artie storyline was pretty surprising, mostly because I never expected that she would legitimately fall for him. I actually felt pretty bad for Brittany at the end. To be honest, Artie's got nothing to complain about. I mean, Brittany's promiscuous and everybody knows that - she even joked about it in the past - and he chose to sleep with her. So I don't see what's the big deal, Artie

- I was surprised to see they didn't forgot Burt had a heart attack in the previous episode. That's continuity. Nice!

- Of course, the compulsory Brittany quote of the week: "Before our duet, we're gonna do it!" LOL. I love you Brittany!

THE BAD:

- The Santana and Brittany moment came out of nowhere and felt more awkward than the Brittany-Artie scene. I admit though, I was half-satisfied. Haha. So, this is just me nitpicking because I seriously didn't find anything wrong with the episode. Haha.

THE MUSIC:

DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART was cute. I didn't expect to enjoy this but I was thoroughly entertained with this number. I also think their chemistry here was pretty palpable.

RIVER DEEP, MOUNTAIN HIGH. This was amazing!! Seriously. I thought both of them performed the crap out of that tune. The vocals were great and the choreography was very Tina Turner. Oh, and I love the fact that Santana was able to sing and dance more on the show and act because she can do all three. I was pretty impressed.

LE JAZZ HOT. This wasn't as beautifully executed as his other solo, Rose's Turn, last season, but, this was oddly entertaining. Yes, I wasn't a fan of the recording of the song but the actual performance actually made me appreciate it. Actually, Chris Colfer amazes me.. everytime.

SING! I said it once and I'll say it again, this performance was cute and fun. Haha. Tina sounded great and Mike Chang's comedic timing was surprising good. Vocally, of course, Mike Chang was butchering the notes on purpose - hence, the lyrics. Haha.

BORN AGAIN. This was ridiculously hilarious!! I did not see this one coming. Haha. I found this performance kind of cute in a weird psycho way and the "WTF!" looks from other Glee members made it absolutely funny. Oh, and Quinn's "I seriously want to punch both of you!". Haha. EPIC! How I wish though that they recorded this song as well, because really, they both sounded sensational in this piece.

LUCKY. As I've said, Quinn and Sam have that serious musical chemistry. Santana was right, this was so freakin' charming. Enough said.

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN was a prefect duet for Kurt and Rachel and somehow, the best song to end the episode. I love how their voices fit together really well on this song. However, Rachel's facial expressions during this number were kind of distracting, although Kurt looked so debonair. Ha!

Download music HERE.
Download episode HERE.
Watch the preview for next episode HERE.

8 comments:

Robbie said...

My favorite episode in Season 2. =)

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: I agree! Who would've thought a low key episode like this will turn out to be better than the first three uber-hyped episodes. :)

Anonymous said...

I really want them to release 'Born Again' as a single! It was really good!

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: Same here! Born Again was seriously good.

Anonymous said...

Regardiug your comment about Rachel's expressions being too distractive during HDAHA/GH, I'd just like to point out that she was playing Barbra Streisand. By that I mean she was channeling Barbra from the original music clip with Judy - search for it on YouTube. Lea and Chris performed this number with LOADS of shout-outs to the original number, so Lea simply played Rachel as Rachel would (we all remember "Run Joey Run", right?). If you watch the original music clip for HDAHA/GH alongside the Glee clip you'll notice them acting as Barbra and Judy heaps - Lea does Barbra's facials, wears the same top, moves the same way, while Kurt does Judy, holds Lea's hand the same way and does Judy's little kick at the end. The whole thing was just supposed to be a throwback to the original. ;)

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: Actually, I saw that video clip on YouTube and that's when I got the choice of outfits for Rachel and Kurt and yes, even Rachel's movements. But somehow I still think it was still a bit to much as compared to Barbara's. That's just me though. :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE GLEE LOVE SAM AND QUINN!

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: I love them too!! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...