Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Glee Season 2: Grilled Cheesus Episode Review

Grilled Cheesus
Season 2, Episode 3

I don't know about everyone else, but I actually loved this episode. I mean, I was seriously scared that this one would be overly melodramatic or a little too preachy for my taste, but it wasn't. I was actually shocked that this episode just hit the right amount of seriousness tied in with light humor.

Personally, I think Glee handled the topic of religion really well, and good points were actually brought up. It was surprisingly pretty balanced, in my opinion. I think it could even be seen as both pro-religion and anti-religion depending on who you ask. Now, was this one of the best episodes of the show EVER? Maybe. I have to admit though, I prefer this better than the first two episodes.

THE GOOD:

- Young characters with strong faith was kind of refreshing to see on the show. I mean, I don't think they are portrayed enough on television nowadays.

- I was thoroughly impressed with Kurt's (Chris Colfer) acting in this episode. Seriously. Who knew? I believe his performance here was beyond brilliant.

- I love innocent Finn. I thought his plot throughout the episode was very realistic - not quite understanding how prayers actually work, and maybe don't work.

- I was thrilled that no conversion took place. I mean, they didn't force Kurt into a religious awakening at the end, but instead let him have some character development and gain some respect for it. That really sealed my opinion on this episode. Oh, and I was also glad that tolerance and respect was taught to BOTH sides in this episode.

- I loved the fact that Sue was very unpredictable in this episode and not the usual one dimensional character. To be perfectly honest, her banter with religion when she was talking with Emma was very eye opening. Somehow, I did understand what she was trying to point out, which was thought provoking, in my opinion.

- Sue's moment with her older sister was pretty emotional! Yes, this was the scene where I totally lost it. Haha.

- Rachel was surprisingly not as obnoxious as before. Thank God - no pun intended!

- Of course, Brittany's heart attack research that she wants Kurt to give to the doctors was hilarious! Haha.

THE BAD:

- I was more than happy that Quinn got more than one line in this episode. However, I was slightly surprised that she didn't have more to say - or even a solo - considering that her character is, arguably, the designated religious one since Season 1.

- ARTIE CAN'T PLAY FOOTBALL! This is beyond infuriating! I mean, I know I'm supposed to suspend disbelief every now and then. But actually playing in a wheelchair is not possible, nor is it allowed in any real league. His chair gives his team an advantage because the other team would not be able to tackle Artie. Ridiculous.

THE MUSIC:

ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG turned out to be more fun than I expected. That said, I think that this was the most forgettable and weakest performance in this episode. I mean, take this out and everything - including the plot - would still be intact. To me, this number was pointless - other than to show how disinterested Kurt was the entire time.

I LOOK TO YOU was really good. It was touching and I love the relationship it portrayed for those characters during this number.

PAPA CAN YOU HEAR ME. One of my favorite musical performance in the episode. I couldn't ignore the perfection of Rachel's voice - it can emote so much, make me feel so much, and her youth also helped really lift this performance. And the way the scene moved from the park into the hospital was seamless and wonderful. Great job!

I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND was beautiful. This made me bawl shamelessly. That little montage with little Kurt and Burt was a nice added touch to the scene and it was spectacularly executed. Bravo!

LOSING MY RELIGION. If I look at the context of this song within the episode, I surprisingly liked it. It wasn't as memorable as the others but I enjoyed it for what it was.

BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER. Vocally, it was great. However, this actually felt a bit unnecessary, and somehow was the main reason why One of Us was cut short. Why didn't they just had her sing I Look To You at the church instead? Maybe I'm just nitpicking. Whatever.

ONE OF US. I have to say, this was arguably the BEST last 10 minutes of this series. Seriously. Kurt opening up to his father and then closing the episode with this song was amazing that I literally lost it. Personally though, I felt that they should have kept the Kurt/Quinn verse in this musical performance since it would have made a lot more sense. Overall, it sounded and looked great, but it was way too short, and it made me sad. Ha!

Download music HERE.
Watch the preview for next week HERE.

10 comments:

Will said...

So judging by your comments I can tell that this is a great episode. Haven't watched it yet. Too busy kasi :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: Yes. This episode is definitely better than the last two episodes. :) Try to catch it.

Will said...

of course i will. :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: Good! Hehe.

Anonymous said...

Nakatulog ako haha. Will watch tonight!

Pero oo nga. Wasn't Quinn kicked out from their house because her dad was a religious and ultra-conservative freak? She should have religion angst! Haha.

- Chuck

DAM THE NATION said...

Chuck: Quinn was the founder/head of celebacy club and yes, her parents are conservative freaks! Haha. Oh well. I just hope we get more of Quinn in the future.

brian james said...

Can i Just Say That im InLove w/ Ur Blog :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Brian James: Wow! Thanks! :)

Robbie said...

Grabe I wasn't able to comment on this. Haay.

I did not cry!!! =))


Naiinis ako lately kasi pinuputol yung mga magagandang song numbers. Yun lang.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: I think you're one of the very few - at least, people that I know - who didn't cry with this episode. Haha.

And yes, I agree. They should choose the songs to cut and not to cut - One Of Us! Haha

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...