Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Glee Season 2: Rocky Horror Glee Show Episode Review

Rocky Horror Glee Show
Season 2, Episode 5

Hmm. This was a decent episode but no more than that for me. I don't know. Maybe I was just expecting too much from this episode because of the one week Glee hiatus from last week. To be fair, I really enjoyed the musical numbers but I think I'm done with tribute episodes for this season - though this one sort of had a plot unlike Brittany/Britney and The Powers of Madonna. Ha!

I will say though that this episode was NOT my favorite episode in the world and can be filed under one of my leasts. And as I’m not horribly ecstatic about it, this won’t be as long as I normally would have written.

Bottomline: It was generally ok.

THE GOOD:

- I liked how the episode focused on the adults - Will, Emma, Carl and Sue. I thought that it was a decent transition from the last episode, Duets. I mean, not every episode can be about Rachel, Finn, or Kurt. Somehow, it was a nice break from the regular high school storylines.

- It was refreshing that this episode tackled the body image issues for boys. I think this brings a lot of insight into Sam's character as well as Finn's.

- Mercedes killed it this episode. I love how there was a supposed disclaimer before Sweet Transvestite - about how she was going to make it her own. Plus, the song was spot on for her characterization of Frank. I was impressed.

- Sam, I thought, was funny in an awkward way, much like his introduction in Duets. Haha. Wait, is he a dork, a jock, or what?

- Finn and Rachel was, again, good in this episode. I love their honesty in the relationship and how they are making each other better in their respective lives. Rachel has suddenly humbled herself a good bit.

- Sue's Corner made a triumphant return!

- They walk such a fine line with Sue Sylvesters's character, but I like that she occasionally shows that she's also a good teacher. Emphasis on occasionally. Ha!

- Becky really cracked me up in this episode. Who would've thought?

THE BAD:

- Although I liked the idea of the adults getting the spotlight in this episode, I don't think I've ever really hated Will's character this much. I mean, he seemed to never learn anything. Seriously. How many times last season did he screw things up by doing things selfishly? A lot. And now it is back again, first in Britney, and now this. Sure, I somehow like the story of this episode, but Schuester needs to grow up. His motives of doing a Rocky Horror musical was sickening. Somehow, I think Sue might be a better teacher than Will. Sorry.

- The episode was lacking in laugh out loud moments. No really funny Sue or Brittany one-liners. Sad.

- Artie really needs to start getting a clue. That is all.

THE MUSIC:

SCIENCE FICTION/DOUBLE FEATURE. I really loved how they kept it true to the original at the beginning simply because it's a random song so trying to put it into any type of context would be odd. I also loved Santana's voice in this song. Good job!

THERE'S A LIGHT was just way too short! Ha. That being said, I love their take on the song and the set looked amazing. Also, I've said this before and I'll say it again, Rachel and Finn make the perfect Brad and Janet. Really.

DAMMIT JANET was perfect. I thought Finn and Rachel were great playing these characters and their vocals had so much personality. I was giggling the whole time. So cute.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO SATURDAY NIGHT. Well, I thought that it was interesting that all of a sudden Carl was the one who had to audition for a part. But, I digress as I thought the performance was wonderful! He absolutely killed it. Oh, and I enjoyed the little couple moments with the dancing.

SWEET TRANSVESTITE. This musical performance was fabulous. I thought Mercedes' rendition of the song worked way better in the context of the show and performance than it did solely on audio. She was strutting her stuff pretty well. I also liked how they played out the controversy of Frank-n-Furter. To me, it seemed realistic for a high school setting. But really, one of the best songs of the night.

TOUCH A TOUCH A TOUCH A TOUCH ME was shockingly good. Truth be told, I didn't like it the first time I heard the song but now I thought Emma was wonderful in it. And yes, Will and Emma do still have great chemistry. This musical number proved that.

TIME WARP was probably the best musical performance of this episode, mainly because it was fun to watch and listen. There was no plot development or point being made, it was just pure fun. Also, Quinn and Kurt rocked it!

Download music HERE.
Download episode HERE.
Watch the preview for next episode HERE.

4 comments:

Will said...

I didn't download the soundtrack for this episode, so I failed to notice that it was Santana singing ScienceFic/DoubleFeature until I watched it for the second time. haha.

and Time Warp was definitely amazing. It simply burst with energy. Swear!

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: I also got confused when I first heard the Science Fiction/Double Feature song because, at first, it sounded like Quinn, then Tina and then Santana. Haha.

And yes, Time Warp was just fun!

kent said...

i hate it.... i can't get the songs out of my head na! ALL OF THEM!!!

i lol'd when my colleague asked me what the hell i was singing. i didn't notice i was singing "touch a touch a touch a touch me" na pala while reading my emails! haha!

DAM THE NATION said...

Kent: Hahaha. Epic. Of all the songs, you were humming the song by Emma? Haha. Nice!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...