Thursday, October 21, 2010

Idol 17 - Paris Bennett

17. Paris Bennett
Season 5, 5th Place

I think I've said a couple times before that Season 5 is one of my favorite seasons and the reason is because there were 3 people that I really really loved. And yes, Paris is definitely one of them.  Let's go back to when I first saw Ms. Bennett in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Now, there are four American Idol auditions throughout the 7 seasons that I freaking adored. One of them was Leneshe Young of Season 8, the other two come from contestants in my Top 10 and, of course, Paris Bennett. She started off her audition with a strong version of Dixie Chicks' Cowboy Take Me Away, though I wasn't so sure that time if it was the best song choice to show off her vocal ability. Thank God for Paula - there, I said it! - she requested for another song, and Paris absolutely delivered. I don't know what it was about her tone on Take Five but I was giddy after watching her sing that. She had the coolest sounding vibrato on the song, amazing phrasing and dynamics. It was just so cool to watch.

At that moment, Paris instantly became my favorite of that season. She reminded me a bit of Fantasia, which is probably one of the best compliments I could ever give because I was just super impressed and I knew we'd be seeing her for a while. So, when the live performances started, Paris was undeniably one of the best in the semifinals. She seemed to really appreciate all sorts of genres of music, performed like a seasoned artist and she dared to show every single facet of her voice - and yes, even her hair. Sanjaya and Lil Rounds were such a copy cat! Haha.

But, I'd say that Paris really started to shine during the Finals. She consistently delivered flawless performance after the other. Needless to say, I loved every single thing she did, except maybe How Do I Live, which was still pretty decent. It's a shame though that Paris never really became one to watch out for. I mean, I don't remember the judges particularly throwing her under the bus, but it was clear that Season 5 was the Chris Daughtry and Taylor Hicks show from very early on. But, if being honest, I would say that Paris was probably the most consistently good performer of all of the Top 12. Seriously.

To me, it's so clear that Paris was born to sing. Music is in her bones, and that's why she did so well with pretty much everything she sang. To me, I still think that Paris left too soon in the competition. But since I knew that Daughtry and Hicks weren't leaving at Top 5, I was already glad that McPhee and Yamin were safe. Oh, and thank God Paris lasted longer than Kellie Pickler! Haha.
 
I really have not kept up with Paris' post Idol career, but I have heard that her first album Princess P was universally panned, which was sad. I mean, she's probably the only black female from the show - besides Fantasia and Jennifer Hudson - to release a modern RnB album, and I wish it could've been better. Well, I heard a couple of songs and it wasn't THAT bad it was just poorly produced. Oh well.

Favorite Performance(s): It's pretty hard for me to name my faves from Paris because she was ALWAYS so good. I definitely loved her audition, though. Hands down one of the best auditions ever. Fever was pure gold. Everything about the performance seemed to be perfect: the way she looked, her attitude, the way her tone sounded on the song. Of course, These Foolish Things I thought was her biggest shining moment as her voice sounded pitch perfect on that performance - almost studio quality. All I Do was one of the strongest during the Stevie Wonder weeks. Work It Out and Be Without You were also really good. Loved them all.

Audition


Fever


These Foolish Things


All I Do


Work It Out


Be Without You


#16 - James Morrison

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked Paris season 5 her and Elliott were my favorites my Paris performance was The Show Must Go On

Robbie said...

Paris is okay. The only think I liked about her was her audition. Galing!

Ummm... ang hirap naman ng next clue mo... a LOT of people were robbed of a Top 12 spot. =))

Male or female?

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: The Show Must Go On was also good. I just didn't like her hair with that performance. LOL

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: Paris is JUST okay? Haha. Fine. It's alright. :P

Now, as for the next clue. You have a point. I'll change it na nga. Haha. Oh, and it's a guy. :)

Robbie said...

Wahahaha kanya-kanyang trip no! Well... taking the fact na hindi ako nanuod ng Season 5 kasi aside from the auditions and semi-finals lang. Hindi ko masyadong maalala mga kinanta ni Paris. Iba kasi fave ko nun e.

And ayan iba na. Syempre todo drama at rant ako nung na-eliminate si Alex Lambert. As in suuuuuper sayang.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: Haha. I know. To each his own. So we may agree to disagree on Paris Bennett. Hehe. :P

Now, as for your "guess", tomorrow ka na magcomment. Hahaha.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...