Thursday, December 9, 2010

Album Review: Farmer's Daughter - Crystal Bowersox

Without question, Crystal Bowersox sounds absolutely great in this debut effort. Actually, the lack of overproduction in this record is a pleasant surprise. The writing holds up, her voice undoubtedly sounds great, and I like the production and maybe the style of the whole record. But will I buy the album? I'm not so sure.

I just can't see myself listening to more than a couple of her tracks over and over again. Some songs, at least to me, never seem to go anywhere. There are not enough strong melodies, no memorable hooks, and some of the songs just don't build to a climax. To be honest, after listening to the album thrice, I still can't recall a single song or even a melody from the album.

This isn't saying that the album is bad though. Maybe this isn't just exactly my preferred type of music. But I'm pretty positive that there has to be an audience for this kind of music. It may not be me, but I think this is a solid effort, regardless.

Here's my track-by-track review:

Frankly, I don't care much for this album opener. Yes, she inhabits the song with natural ease, despite the fact that this track sounds like it was a decade too late. But I think the main deficiency of the song is its general lack of a hook. The chorus is pretty much just an extension of the verse and the title/hook seems merely an afterthought here - offering no memorable change of melody. Plus, it's too twangy for my taste. 5/10

I actually like her cover of this song. Everything seems almost the same with the original but her vocal touches here and there makes her version stand on its own. It has that throwback feel to it and she does sound good singing the track. But at this point, it's already a given that Crystal has the pipes to pull this ditty off, so I'm not surprised. 7/10

Possibly one of the strongest tracks on her record. Starts as a slow and sensuous ballad that transitions into something which is surprisingly much more introspective than I expected. This, to me, is lyrically and thematically an edgy song that represents her perfectly as an artist. It may not be the most radio-ready track on the album, but I'm really glad she fought for this to be her lead-off single. 9/10

The one-two punch of Farmer's Daughter and this actually gets the album going. This track just took my breath away. It starts quiet and slow, but then grows to a more rocking anthem that once the song explodes into a huge, soaring chorus, Crystal's vocal remains controlled and focused, which is pretty impressive. The bridge is amazing and production-wise, it's on point. Absolutely lovely. 9/10

This is quite surprising. On first listen, this song is probably one of my favorites on the album. And it's probably the least Crystal-y. It's a shockingly bubbly song that sounds like it could have been ripped from a Owl City album. Haha. It’s funky, dynamic, and it rides on a tight rhythm section. Nothing revolutionary, but it has a fun vibe. I like it. 8/10

Not quite a ballad, not quite an anthem. But I have to say, this Kara DioGuardi-Chad Kroeger penned ditty isn't that bad. Sure, the song does sound like a Nickelback cover but I really think Crystal's voice adds something extra to this track. To me, this is a terrific example that she can actually extend her repertoire into slightly slicker pop without losing sight of her acoustic/folk roots. 8/10

It isn't one of my favorite tracks in the album but I have to say, this sounds, potentially, the most viable country radio single in this album. I think this has a decent amount of commercial appeal. No, the hook in this song still isn’t strong enough to stand on its own legs, and neither the rest of the song’s lyrics but Crystal is rocking in it hard and she - finally! - let loose. This is actually refreshing. 7/10

The percussion, the rhythm, the vocal, this is musical seduction at it's best. The song rocks as all heck. Enough said. 8/10

If not for Taylor Swift,  I would have wanted Crystal to name her album Speak Now. I don't know. There’s just something very earthy and real about this track. Here, Crystal has a satisfying, clear voice, and that slick, robust production clearly makes the track soar. That said, I'm not so sure about the structure of the song. I find the intro a tad too long. 7/10

My least favorite song on the album. I don't know why, but for some reason it's just grating on my nerves. It's not the lyrics or the production, but the tone of her singing is just strange. The melody strangely reminds me so much of The Carpenters. 4/10

Phenomenal! Arguably, the strongest track on the record. This is the only song that caught my attention when I first listened to the album. Crystal sounds great harmonizing with her husband, Brian. I actually like that they both effortlessly wraps their warm and slightly-raspy voices around the song. The instrumentation with it's lush strings and subtle drums is a nice contrast to the lyrics as well. Oh, and the bridge is nothing short of beautiful. 10/10

Just like Mason, there’s just something about the vibe to the production that I really like. This is actually a refreshingly calm track that boasts a breezy melody and warm vocal. I love how quiet this is, and how she never pushes too hard or tries to make this song bigger than it should be. I like the restraint. 7/10


Of course, opinions about certain albums are relative but I have no doubt that this debut material from Crystal Bowersox is solid. She manages to infuse her distinct sound in this record and that in itself is already an outstanding accomplishment for her. I actually wouldn't be surprised if she gets good reviews from legitimate music critics.

So, even though I'm personally not too crazy about this record, I think that the people who like this type of music will adore this album. Besides, I feel that Farmer's Daughter has more substance than most of the records that was released this year. Just saying.

RATING: 7.4/10

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very honest and well written review. Thanks for your efforts here!

Anonymous said...

I think your individual analysis of each song are reasonably accurate. However, the scores don't seem to be in sync with the comments. If I were rating based on your comments, I think we would be looking at an album score in the high eights. Unless, of course, that was pre-determined.

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous 1: Thank you! I'm glad you got to appreciate my review. :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonyous 2: Hmm. I kind of understand what you're saying. I think I usually give a 7 to songs that are ok/decent. I like them but I wouldn't necessarily listen to them over and over again. I don't know. 7 to me is like the "passing score". Hehe. If I don't like it, it's lower than that.

Anonymous said...

If your 7 means "ok/decent" then you need to go back and rewrite your reviews to fit that assessment. It feels like a total contradiction to me. Sorry.

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: As I've said, ok/decent can also mean I somewhat like the song but I wouldn't necessarily listen to it over and over again.

That said, your opinion is just as valid as mine. You may not agree with everything I wrote and it's fine. I totally understand that. These things are very subjective anyway.

Robbie said...

Sila na ang expert!
I-rewrite mo daw ang review mo para swak sa panlasa nila. Lolololol.

Tsuramae nila! Hahahaha.

Will said...

OMG Robbie hahahaha.

Sila na. Sila na ang Anonymous. Hahahaha.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: Tama! Haha.

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: Hahahaha.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...