Sunday, December 5, 2010

X Factor UK 7: Top 5 Performances

It's the semifinals already!! Waah. I can't believe this season is almost done. Haha.

Now, the performances were nothing terribly impressive but I think some people stepped up their game this week. Actually, if I will base it from the judges' comments, it's pretty obvious that they want Mary Byrne gone but those few tears may have saved her. And as much as I hate to say this, I think Cher Lloyd is in danger of elimination. Oh no.

Anyway, since it's the Final 5 already, I decided to make this review like my American Idol review minus the ranking. Haha.

So, here's how I rate the performances after the jump!

Rebeca Ferguson
Show Me Love 9/10
Amazing Grace 8/10

I was initially a fan of Rebecca but through out the whole competition, I actually felt that she hasn't really improved.. until now. I really think she proved herself worthy of a Finale slot. Yes, she can't dance - or even sway to the beat to save her life - but the singing, especially in her first performance was really good. Her second performance was good though a bit overrated. Personally, this song makes her vocal flaws more noticeable. I don't know. That said, I think it's a no brainer that she'll be in the Finals.

Mary Byrne
Never Can Say Goodbye 7/10
The Way We Were 6/10

Boring. I'm sorry. The world doesn't need another Susan Boyle. Yes, Mary is far more interesting vocally than SuBo but just no.. Really. This week, Mary seemed lost in a few places. Her first performance was decent - at least, she moved on stage - but her second one was just too dated for my taste. She's just not my cup of tea.

Matt Cardle
You've Got The Love 9/10
She's Always A Woman 8/10

I really thought he was going to pass out anytime. Haha. Matt looked so sick during his performances. But in that context, I really think he still managed to give good-to-great performances. I love his version of Florence and The Machine's You've Got The Love. He sounded really good. His second performance wasn't as great and it was an odd song choice but it was heartfelt and he sounded fine considering the flu. He actually made it work. I think he's a shoo-in for the Finals. It'll be a travesty to see him get eliminated tomorrow.

Cher Lloyd
Nothin' On You 8/10
Love The Way You Lie 9/10

Say what you want, but I love her. I think Cher is still doing something none of these other contestants can do and has the confidence none of them are showcasing which will help lead her to success after this show. Her rapping makes her unique and give her commercial appeal. Sure, she’s not perfect, but I think she’s competent. I just wish she'll work on her transition from rapping to singing, but other than that, the song choices are ridiculously current that I don't have anything to complain about. Oh, and the staging of her second performance was amazing. That is all.

One Direction
 Only Girl In The World 7/10
Chasing Cars 7/10

Harmony meet One Direction. Haha. It's about time!! I somehow enjoyed their first song, Only Girl In The World despite the poor lead vocal. The second song was slightly better. The harmonies still weren't any good but I think they're improving. And just like Cher, One Direction has ton of commercial appeal. That being said, if they managed to sneak their way after this week, I dare say that they are the lamest group ever to make the finals.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...