Tuesday, December 28, 2010

DAM NATION Year End List: 20 Best Movies of 2010

2010. 65 movies in 12 months. I guess, I surpassed my personal record of 41 movies last year. Haha. Without a doubt, it was another fantastic year of movie watching. Many great movies came out this year, so it was hard to put this short list together. But, here are 20 best movies of 2010. Be sure to check them all out, you won't be disappointed.

One thing though, I'm not particularly fond of independent films - just my personal preference - so better not bash me for not including most of them in this list. Also, it’s not physically and financially possible for me to go and watch ALL films that were released this year, so just chill. Haha. This is just for fun.

So, without further ado, DAM NATION presents the 20 Best Movies of 2010..
 
20. The Karate Kid
8/10
"Even with the early shock of seeing kids duke it out, everything was eventually made believable. Yes, it wasn't flawless but immensely entertaining.."

19. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
8/10
".. this is a movie that's hard not to like - unless, of course, if you personally have a problem with Michael Cera. Haha. Is Scott Pilgrim a perfect film? No, it most certainly has it's flaws. It is, however, possibly one of the most inventive and cleverly written, eye-popping and visually appealing action comedies.."

18. Red
8/10
"With Bourne-like precision along with the Mr. and Mrs. Smith lightness, this was an awesome action flick that didn't rely on a lot of bloody violence just to make it good. The film had me enthralled and this somehow reminded me how much fun it actually is to hear old people joke around.."

17. Salt
8/10
"I genuinely enjoyed the movie because unlike many of the films out there, this one got spunk! It was that kind of movie that kept me on the edge of my seat and gave me a good adrenalin rush.."

16. The Town
8/10
"The quiet scenes were moving and poignant, the action sequences were startlingly violent and gripping and the final scene had that great nostalgia and emotional depth.."

15. The A-Team
8/10
"I thought the action sequences were very well shot and the fight choreography was bone crushingly good. The cinematography was classier than most movies under the same genre and the artwork and direction was nicely done. Moreover, the pacing of the film was unusually good.."

14. Here Comes The Bride
8/10
"Calling this film hilarious would be an understatement!! Who would've thought? Believe me, it was more than just a comedy film. On a superficial level, of course, the movie was beyond funny, but I thought that the storyline in itself was remarkably good and the script was on point.."

13. Despicable Me
9/10
".. it did offer a great, original story that didn't pander to the audience, no matter what age. A movie with bucket loads of charm, personality and neat little jabs of humor for adults.."

12. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
9/10
".. just had the right doses of action, drama, romance, suspense and comedy scattered throughout the film. Technically and artistically, nothing was overkill and the story was well-told and well-paced.."

11. Robin Hood
9/10
"Sweeping cinematography, immersing score, amazing acting performances and a screenplay that spares no pity for the inattentive. Haha. And knowing that this was a build-up to a sequel, I already am excited about what is to follow.."

10. Buried
9/10
"One long box. One man trapped inside. Roughly 90 minutes. To some extent, it was a tough movie to watch as it was both dark and depressing, but it was so impeccably directed, written, and acted that it's well worth the discomfort.."

9. Alice In Wonderland
9/10
"I personally thought that this was an interesting interpretation. I never really felt things got boring at any stage, which was refreshing. Yes, the storyline may be a little rushed and I would have liked a bit more time to explore the characters, but it worked fine for the movie.."

8. Tron: Legacy
9/10
".. this film was just incredible on just about every level. I mean, without a doubt, this shockingly set the standard for possibly being the most visually stunning movie ever created this year. It's clearly a special effects extravaganza!"

7. Kick-Ass
9/10
"You know that rare feeling when you go out of the cinema SO excited at the film you've just watched? Well, it surely hits that sweet spot! Seriously. It just had something of everything - compelling characters, comedy, action and a little girl cursing and slicing off limbs. Haha. This movie isn't trying to be cool, it just is!"

6.  How To Train Your Dragon
9/10
"I never expected much from a DreamWorks film but this somehow made me want to re-think things over. Ha. Exhilarating action. Amazing visual effects. Gut-bustingly humorous characters. Compelling story.."

5. Shutter Island
9/10
".. this was one of the most well crafted psychological thrillers in recent memory. From the first note of the score, to the last shot on the screen I was completely enthralled by this film. A film that made me question my own sanity.."

4. Easy A
9/10
"Superficially a teen romantic comedy, this was actually a very impressive piece of work. In a world where the teenage high school film genre is a worn out and tired formula, this movie shined by offering something new. It's funny, smart, witty, and never settled for the cliche.."

3. The Social Network
10/10
".. this film is definitely one of the most timely, intelligent and engaging films to come along in a while. And despite a long runtime, the film, surprisingly, didn't drag. Clever narration. Excellent direction. Fantastic performances. Brilliant Script. What's there not to "Like"?"

2. Toy Story 3
10/10
"Toy Story 3 continues Pixar's unique tradition of sending grown men out of the theater pretending that they NEVER shed a tear. Amazing visual effects. Beautifully told story. Hilarious characters. Heart. All those combined equal something special.."

1. Inception
10/10
"It combined heart-stopping action, mind bending psychological concept and deep emotional conflicts, then wrapped them in a tight, perfectly edited package, and kicked you with them in the face. Every shot, every angle, every sequence of this movie was absolutely stellar. Every plot twist, every line off their script was sheer genius. The pacing was perfect, and the story was destined to become a classic.."

19 comments:

earL said...

Inception --- the best!
65 movies in a year? Ikaw na!!! haha
Good job!

Pao said...

Ooh. I haven't even watched half of the film. haha. But I'll put my favorite once of the year.

Dani said...

I've only seen 7 of these, hahaha. Inception FTW!

Smarla said...

shucks ang bano ko, 6 lang napanood ko sa list na ito. shuuux

I love love love Toy Story 3. Naiyak ako sa ending. at in fairness, ang gwapo na niya nung lumaki siya :D hahaha

Will said...

Nice list. 6 out of these 20 are included in my own top10. I'll post it before the year ends. :)

ancheen said...

didn't expect to see buried, tron, and how to train.. so dapat pala mapanood ko sila para di naman ako magmukhang masyadong judgmental noh? hehehe

DAM THE NATION said...

Earl: Haha. Yes, 65 movies. I hope I can surpass that next year. Haha. :D

Pao: It's alright. There's still time to catch up. :)

Dani: Try to watch some of them. You'll enjoy it. Unless, of course, if we have totally different taste when it comes to movies in general. Hehe.

Smarla: You're not bano. Maybe you're just busy. Hahaha. Catch up ka na lang. :) And yes, Toy Story 3 made me cry. Ugh!

Will: 6 movies on your Top 10? Neat! Cge. I'll wait for it. :P

Mama Young: Right! Don't be to judgmental, especially with How To Train Your Dragon. That movie was excellent. Believe me! :)

Dani said...

I just watched A-Team and Buried. Awesome movies. Although medyo nabore ako panoorin si Ryan Reynolds ng 1.5 hours na puro siya lang, haha.

Adrian Mendizabal said...

though i've seen around 200 movies this year, i have watched 6 films from your list. LOL! Im such a loser!

I hope you'll watch more indie films next year. Just try. LOL! Watch out for SENIOR YEAR (2010) by Jerrold Tarog on March 9 in SM Cinemas. Its an Indie-Mainstream breed and a total lot of fun. There are around 100 pinoy indie films released in 2010, i hope nakapanood ka ni isa. LOL!

Keep the movies comming! :D

I hope you'll reach a hundred next year.

- ADZ

DAM THE NATION said...

Dani: Wow. That was fast. Haha. Buried can be either boring or riveting depending on the audience siguro. Think Paranormal Activity. It's a bit polarizing but what I liked about it was the creativity of the director to give different angle shots and whatnot to make it interesting. Wala lang. Hehe.

Adrian: Thanks for visiting the site. Well, I tried watching some indie films before but I think I'm just too mainstream for me to appreciate them fully. Haha. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them pero parang iba lang ang perception ko with them (ok. don't kill me, please! Haha). Actually, someone already asked me to review some indie films (since it'll be refreshing "daw" ang point of view ko) but I don't think I'm ready for it. Hehe :D

Robbie said...

I've seen 12 from your list! Hehehe. Pero konti lang ang movies na napanuod ko this year eh. Babawi sa 2011! Wohoooo! INCEPTIONNNNNN!

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: Wow. 12 out of 20. Nice. Yes, bawi next year. My personal goal is to see at least 100 movies next year!!

Adrian Mendizabal said...

@Dam the Nation: sama ka kaya facebook group namin sa mga mahihlig sa movies, CINEPHILES ang tawag! Currently, we're 163 people there, lahat pinoy. :D at kasama si WILL of melikesart.blogspot.com. add me sa facebook: lessegers@yahoo.com and PM (private message) me up na ikaw ang owner ng the DAMNATION blog. :D its great to add another person na mahilig sa movies sa group. wee!

- ADZ!

DAM THE NATION said...

Adrian: DONE! Haha. I checked din pala the group CINEPHILES and mejo naintimidate ako. LOL. I'm like that. Haha.

DAM THE NATION said...

kPg: Thank you very much. I read your links already. Very interesting especially the 5 lessons. Hehe. :D Thanks for visiting.

Torrent Download said...

Nice list. 6 out of these 20 are included in my own top10. I'll post it before the year ends. :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Torrent Download: Thanks for visiting. :)

Sendo said...

red through....weee...we almost have the same movie picks...the bests of 2010! ^^ sana this year big time rin ung movies!

DAM THE NATION said...

Sendo: Nice

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...