Friday, December 3, 2010

Glee: Ryan Murphy To Replace Cast Members After They Graduate

Wow. This news is huge!! According to Ryan Murphy - executive producer of Glee - in an interview, majority of the original cast will most likely leave the series by the end of 2012, as their characters will be graduating from High School. So, Chord Overstreet's Sam is possibly the first of the next generation of Gleeks.

According to him:
"Every year we’re going to populate a new group. There's nothing more depressing than a high schooler with a bald spot. I think you have to be true to the fact that here is a group of people who come and go in these teachers' lives – they graduate and they're gone. When some of them finish their run at high school it will be very teary episodes. For me it will be particularly tough but a new crop (of actors) will come in. I was concerned about that (whether to have characters graduate and leave the show) because those kids caught on so quickly – but I think one of the things I'm very happy we’ve been able to do this years is we’ve brought in new characters. I think if you can keep regenerating – and I didn’t think we could – I didn’t know if people would want those characters (like Sam) but they do."
Well, that makes total sense. Of course, the kids have to grow up sometime. However, I, for one, think that bringing in a new cast is not the best move for the longevity of the show. What would a new cast have to offer us that we didn't get from the original cast? What kind of story would we get? We will have already gone through the whole competition part of Glee with the original New Directions, so there's nothing exciting there.

High school drama and teenage issues? Same thing, we will have already seen that from the original crop. I feel like introducing a new group of people to be the main cast wold ultimately result in more of the same but with new faces. I don't think that it will hold the viewers interest for too long, especially given how much everyone is invested in and attached to the original cast.

Yes, the idea is creative but I honestly don't think I'll ever love a cast this much ever again. Really. Lea Michele is what pulled me in when I watched the pilot. She leaves, plus Cory, Jenna, Amber, Chris, Dianna, Mark and Kevin, I don't know what will happen. They could maybe kind of keep them involved with the Glee club, but that would be pushing it.

Maybe what's even more frustrating is the fact that original Glee members will be replaced and we're all stuck with Will Schuester. Haha. I personally don't believe Will, Sue and Emma are enough to sustain the same show that will hold the same fans and that idea makes me sad.

But seriously, why not give the show an awesome, cute ending? When did it become a bad thing for a show to end purposely, rather than drag on forever? See, Desperate Housewives. Haha.

19 comments:

Robbie said...

=(

Me do not like.
They should just end it after they all graduate.

Will said...

Agree with you. I think they should end the show with all the characters graduating, but we all know this is unlikely coz Ryan Murphy's getting super-rich on this one.

I just hope they can come up with more interesting characters other than the stereotypical high school kid with the same issues.

Robbie said...

I am a fan of this one show before, Boston Public. School setting din, but the focus is about the teachers but there are students din na part of the main story. Every season, students graduate. It's okay there since the story is about the teachers... but here? No no no.

Glee sells because of the characters. Epecially the Core members of GLEE. Once they're gone, the magic goes along with them.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: I agree!! Also, if the cast change is going to occur every 2-3 years, then what point is there to get emotionally invested in the characters and, by an extension of that, the show itself? If you know that the characters and actors are going to be replaced in a relatively short amount of time, I don't see any reason to get particularly invested in them beyond a sense of tuning it simply for the spectacle of the show.

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: Yes. Just like you, I would rather prefer to end the show with all the New Direction kids graduating together instead of milking the franchise for all it's worth. But then again, I'd also give the new cast a chance if the first couple episodes are interesting but one thing is for sure, Ryan Murphy should not call it just 'Glee.'

Aaron Vincent said...

This cast replacement thing-a-ma-jig has been done before so I wouldn't say that this is really original or creative. I've been following this British teen drama series, Skins. It features a cast of teenagers before they go to college(11th grade to 12th grade). Series 2 ends then they revealed that they will replace characters aside from one(Effy played by Kaya Scodelario *swoons*).

As expected, the fans went "I WILL QUIT WATCHING WHEN THEY REPLACE THESE CHARACTERS!!", "I'LL BOMB THE STUDIOS IF THIS HAPPENS", the usual online petitions and stuffs. They aired Series 3 and it still receives the same rating and the audience,--I, for one-- learned to connect with the new characters. 2 to 3 episodes in and you'll completely forget about the previous characters as you begin to care and "get invested" on the new ones. It really lies on the strength of the writers, imho. Next year Skin will be airing its Series 5 which means they are going to introduce the Third Generation, and a lot of people are still looking forward to it.

I think Glee got this idea from Skins(they do have a lot of similarities: Blaine and Kurt is Glee's version of Tony and Maxxie).It was a bold move, I should say. Now, I only would like to see if Glee's writers can pull this off. Skins writers are powerful and they aren't afraid to show what American TV cannot show(sex, drugs, profanities, nudity, name it!). Yes, they feature stereotypical teen issues and dramas, but they are REAL(no gloss) teens and this what makes it so interesting. Skins' strength is character development, Glee's is music(imo) so I'm not quite sure if Glee can successfully adapt this kind of format.

Sorry, I ranted a lot.

DAM THE NATION said...

Aaron: Haha. That's pretty long. :)) I like that.

Anyway, I heard about the series you're talking about. And yeah, Ryan Murphy's idea is nothing original but for US TV, a bold move like this - to replace majority of its original cast - is pretty rare. So, I'm not so sure how the audience will react with the changes.

Now, the problem I have with Glee now is that the writing has been pretty disappointing. If the writing continues to be as poor on the show as it currently is, then I don't think the second generation will be as successful.

In any case, it would be extremely difficult to live up to the original cast.

katuray said...

their writers really need to come up with great stories for the new set of characters for this show to survive... a very tough job to do considering how the plot seems to be becoming very predictable lately.

off-topic: panalo ang SNOW!!! maligayang pasko! peace! ;)

DAM THE NATION said...

Katuray: It's a tall order for the writers to can make us like the new generation of characters and not feel bitter that they're taking the place of our beloved original cast.

Off topic: thank you!! :))

Vincent said...

Friends and Will and Grace has been running on TV like forever reaching numerous seasons and is still appealing...This would be a huge change and I'm not quite sure everyone, I for one, will like it...

Anonymous said...

Um, SKINS MUCH?

Also, Desperate Housewives STILL rocks despite the longevity. You don't know what you're missing if you're not tuned in.

DAM THE NATION said...

Vincent: I couldn't agree with you more! Clearly, the characters made those series you've mentioned work - even for Glee. So, I'm guessing that if they take that away, I'm not so sure how people will respond to that kind of change. It's pretty BIG. It's not like they're replacing one character, it's the whole ensemble that made Glee a worldwide phenom. But, let's see..

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: We may agree to disagree on Desperate Housewives.

In my own opinion, Desperate Housewives should have ended after Season 4. That’s when the best of the series really ended. Everything after that, the series just became a chaotic, random, incoherent mess. The most entertaining thing that’s happened after Season 4 was the car getting blown up on the street. But that’s it! To me, the longer they keep it going, the worse it’s going to get.

But of course, that's very subjective and your opinion is just valid as mine. :)

Anonymous said...

They need to bring in new people gradually: Murphy has said he plans to gradually bring in new characters as old ones graduate so that they can protect the show "from a ratings slide". He apparently started doing that with Sam. Handling it this way ensures that viewers "will have already connected with the new characters by the time their old favorites are graduating."

Have no fear Dam! We will be able to connect with them and if it's anything like a Friday Night Lights Graduation success, we could have an interesting show on our hands when they graduate :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: You're right. To be honest, a part of me wants to just be hopeful that everything will be handled ok, But with how they handle the overall storyline of the show, I don't know what to get out of it.

Maybe I'm just too protective of the original cast because they were really the one who made me love the show. I mean, as of now, I can't imagine Glee without Rachel Berry, Finn Hudson and even Mercedes Jones. I hate to admit it, but I'll be pretty emotional when they air their last episode. Seriously. Yes, I'm a sissy. Haha.

Benjamin said...

haha no no you're fine. I think everyone will but I think we all need to think realistically e.g. if Glee were real, we would be in the same predicament, not wanting them to leave. It's a way of life moving on and who knows we might get a guy Rachel berry and various others who can give life to a new glee. Who knows, they might be even more worse in the beginning than New Directions or just like Vocal Adrenaline therefore focusing more on their personal lives since they are good at performance!

Who knows... Its exciting knowing new blood will come in but the only way they can make it work is only through superior casting like last time and different story line that doesnt make it so repetitive.

Breathe Dam I think your in for a treat when they Graduate :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Benjamin: Alright. I guess, the best way to deal with this is hope for the best. That Ryan Murphy won't ruin this once EPIC show. :)

Benjamin said...

Once EPIC?

Mate this is still an epic show. I would like to see top rating shows like NCIS, CSI, Bones and others do half what Glee does every week and in their off times when they go on tour.

DAM THE NATION said...

Benjamin: Don't get me wrong. I'm still IN LOVE with this show - hence, the blogging - but personally, it wasn't as EPIC as it's first season. But of course, that's relative. :D

It's still amazing, I think. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...