Friday, December 2, 2011

Movie Review: Won't Last A Day Without You

Predictable? Absolutely. Cheesy? Sure. Worth spending your money? Well, if you saw the crappy Praybeyt Benjamin a month ago, then Won't Last A Day Without You is actually a very good deal for you. Haha. I'm serious.

I was expecting a nominal quality of a romantic comedy going in, but I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the movie. I found most Filipino romantic comedies - with a few exceptions, of course - quite stale and monotonous, but this had that endearing quality that's kind of rare. I couldn't have been more delighted, to be honest.

Sure, the story was painfully predictable as I already figured out how things would end up, but there was something about this film that made the awfully tired premise surprisingly fresh. Maybe it's the chemistry of the two leads? I mean, I got completely wrapped up in the characters that I ended up liking the story no matter how cliched it was. Plus, the film actually managed to put all the schmaltz, melodrama and cheese in a completely engrossing manner that it didn't make me puke.

I also found the script highly relatable. No, it's not brilliant by any means, but the fact it got me choked up a couple of times was a testament of how realistic the writing was. Then, add to that the effective performances of the lead actors.

Sarah Geronimo was her usual delightful self in this film, but her delivery of the more serious scenes were fantastic - yes, I'm using that word. Haha. There were a couple of scenes in particular that were so believable, I felt like I wanted to cry with her. I really thought she had a great range of endearing expressions perfect for the film. I've seen her other works and she was distinctively radiant here with the right balance of warmth, charm and spontaneity.

Gerald Anderson was also quite impressive. I saw his previous film with Sarah, and I somehow felt like he was more comfortable and far more effective here compared to their first outing. Together, their chemistry was palpable and that really made the film work. Of course, the rest of the cast did an admirable job as well, especially Joey De Leon.

Won't Last A Day Without You had its own mishaps but it's generally forgivable. And while the inherent cheesiness and predictability cannot be avoided, I genuinely enjoyed the film. It was a sweet, wonderful and enjoyable romantic flick. Absolutely better than the Philippine's highest grossing local film EVER. Haha. Enough said.

RATING: 8/10

25 comments:

Will said...

You actually watched a Star Cinema movie! Hahaha. Yeah, I heard great stuffs from people about this one. Imma watch it as well. :))

Anonymous said...

I like your review.For me it was also a great film.

Anonymous said...

tama kau.. sobrang ganda talaga.. at sna tumabo pah xa takilya.. 0ver 4MILLION... toh tlga ang mai karapatan kumita ng MALAKI..

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this review...101%

Hoobert the Awesome said...

Hahaha. Natawa naman ako dun sa sinabi mo abt Praybeyt Benjamin. I saw the movie and I personally believe that's its Mulan 2.0. Lols. For me the story was so-so but I actually enjoyed it. I was with my mom and my two sis (maybe that's the reason).

I've been hearing a lot of good stuffs abt Wont Last A Day and I think its doing good in the box-office. But I didn't like the trailer that much. Napanood ko sa DVD the other night yung Catch Me and I had a fun time watching it. Kaso parang may kulang.

Anyway highway. Have you seen The Road?

Merry December!

annoly said...

In behalf of Ashrald's fans,thank you for the appreciation. I've also observed the right balance of evrything. Sarah improves as well as Gerald. Parang natural mode lng cla. Ang galing! I haven't seen the movie Praybeyt Benjamin but issues are popping out that Kris txted Vice not to guest Sarah in any of their shows.

I hope this issue isn't true because i also admire Kris Aquino..God bless us all!

Anonymous said...

because of the attractive and positive comments of those who watched the movie, I actually texted my friends to watch this film. I think this is something awesome that Everybody should watch!..:)

haha..that crappy comment bout Praybeyt benjamin makes me laugh..LOL.though it's funny, i am not impressed with the story. I think WLADWY should be the highest grossing movie of all time. I suggest you guys to watch this epic movie. Help it reach P400M since the movie really deserves it. God Bless and More power.:D

B said...

I'm having second thoughts of posting a comment here after reading that post of a fan. I'm a bit scared since I will disagree with some of your points. Hehe!

Just for me, Gerald and Sarah's magic has faded. Maybe I just like Sarah to be paired with JLC than Gerald. Everytime I see Gerald's smile, I remember Budoy.

Did I enjoy the movie? Not that much. Coz again, it was predictable. And I was expecting a more effective banat from the cast. As I have tweeted, Joey de Leon, as well as the bloopers, saved the movie. I also observed the same reaction from my fellow moviegoers. One of the few remarkable funny scenes for me was when Sarah was coaching Gerald on begging to win Megan's heart back, and when the dogs chased the two and Sarah was 'nadapa'.

Again, this is just my opinion.

-B

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the movie, much better than sarah's previous movies. :) Nakakatuwa lang when my friends and I watched this movie last thurs night, an old couple (maybe in their late 60's) came to watch the LFS. :)

Anonymous said...

Sarah's market range were from children to oldies. I watched it last Wednesday and I found it really good. I seldom watch rom-com movies but I can say this is definitely good and a must-watch film. KUDOS to WLADWY!

Anonymous said...

I can say that this movie of Sarah is way better that the others, mas magaling na si sarah dito. I was partly disappointed with catch me I'm inlove pero kung gagawin kong basis yun I wouldn't gonna watch future movies of ashrald,, pero buti na lang I hoped that this movie would gonna be better this time,, And fortunately, I wasn't disappointed, As martin nieverra said , I went home impressed!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed watching WLADWY 2x. Ang galing naman talaga ni Sarah & Gerald. MAy chemistry sila in fairness. Sarah is effective in drama or comedy, Gerald as well. Congrats!!! More projects for the both of them.

Anonymous said...

As a fan of Sarah Geronimo, i commend her esp on the scene where she had to go when Megan arrived. i felt her emotion, i want to cry too, ang sakit lang! As well on the part when she had to feel okey while doing her DJ show, iyak ng iyak pero need pa din maging good for the listeners..

Anonymous said...

this movie deserves to be on top.
iba ang kwen2 ni2. may pinaghu2gutan cla.
lalo na c sarah napakagaling nya grabeh

elaine said...

napanood ko na rin ito. predictable pero yung story ung magpapaalala sayo ng reality. sobrang totoo lang kaya ang ganda panoorin at halos npaluha ako ni sarah sa acting nya

Anonymous said...

very good review. we have similar points about Praybeyt Benjamin and Won't Last A Day Without You. I think over-rated ang Praybeyt benjamin dahil sa dami ng promotions sa Showtime and Gandang Gabi Vice. Napakagaling na aktres na ni Sarah as well as Gerald. They both performed their best sa movie na ito. I like their previous movie pero iba ang dating nitong bago. Walang sawa factor dahil sa banat, kilig, at drama.

Anonymous said...

I watched it again kanina lang..di kasi nakakasawa panoorin..at manonod uli kami..

Anonymous said...

buti pa ang mga tao dito karamihan magaganda ang comment ang iba naman criticisms pero constructive naman, hindi katulad ng sa ibang sites.

no said...

"wont last a day without you" is breaking it's silence!!!it gross 130 million as of december 5 2011..(sources:yahoo.com/Wikipedia)see?everyone is now appreciating the movie,watching it twice or more...i love the movie,too!!!!who have not been to the movie house,make up your mind..you will not be disappointed:)

Anonymous said...

nice!!130 million is indeed impressive for a span of 6 days..

Anonymous said...

I hope they show this in Mississauga, Canada. I swear I've been dying to see this film [:

Anonymous said...

greayest movie of all time. much watch! di puro kabaduyan lang. kudos to sarah :)

Anonymous said...

sana maging highest grossing film ang wladwy kasi di naman deserving ang praybeyt benjamin. ito talagang sina kris at vice ganda, kapag mas sikat sa kanila, ayaw na nila - di bale, may karma yan....

Anonymous said...

i can't wait to see this movie. Heard a lot of good things about this movie. Bagay na bagay sila. Hopefully, after this movie, they will have another and another and another film together.

Anonymous said...

I saw the preview and thought that Sarah sounded very bakla. Nakakairita to hear a girl talking like one.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...