Thursday, April 21, 2011

American Idol 10: Top 7

Wow. I actually LOVED this episode. Seriously. I think it was from the awesome combo of solid song choices and hilarious personality packages. Imagine that, these kids didn't not stick with the outdated, antiquated themes and suddenly lead to greatness - well, not really but still..

Plus, the rejected Idols group number was an unexpected hot mess. Haha. I know. I know. That group number was a disaster - thanks Paul McDonald! - but I'll sit through disasters if it means I get to see Naima Adedapo getting her freak on again and Pia Toscano!

Also, the judges were being judges this week and not merely cheerleaders! Yay! They weren't exactly on point, but again, I'll take that. Oh, and Ryan was having a blast. He was hilarious, complimentary and genuinely having fun.

To be honest, I didn't care much about the imperfections as I really loved the show. So much hilarity and the clip packages were adorable. Such a bada*s night!

DISCLAIMER: I am no expert, but this is my opinion - to each his own - and yours will be in the comments below! Haha. 

7. Scotty McCreery
Swingin'
Eh. This was basically more of the same for Scotty, though he was using lots of that lower register than usual. To be fair, he was so much better vocally and more entertaining compared to last week’s dull performance, but when you sing something like this, it needs a great deal of sass. Unfortunately, I didn't get that here. Could Scotty be in serious danger after this performance? 6.5/10

6. Lauren Alaina
Born To Fly
So, out of ALL the country songs, the two country singers sing the most RANDOM songs this week! Sigh. This was definitely an improvement from the past few weeks, but this wasn't even close to her Top 24 performance. I still felt like she was holding back yet again. Yes, she - as always - sounded good, but there's just no pop to her. Everything was just generic, lackluster and safe. She has so much potential. Sad. 7/10

5. Jacob Lusk
Dance With My Father
Do I want him to stay for another week? Aboslutely not. But I have to admit, Jacob has been improving. I thought he preserved the melody of the song - finally! - and again he gave a very nice restrained vocals. The key change sounded a bit weird, but other than that it was actually good. He needs to work on his emotion though as it seemed a bit affected. I don't know. The fun and passion seemed to have been sucked out of Jacob. He looked more sad and frustrated to me with each passing week. Oh, and shut the f*ck up Randy, I definitely don't want the over-the-top Jacob. This, to me, is fine. 7.5/10

4. Stefano Langone
Closer
This song makes me want to take ecstasy and go clubbing - NOT! Haha. I did not think Stefano could work this tune, but he seemed to have the right amount of energy to carry everything convincingly. Good vocals if a bit frantic. The first half was actually pretty good as he kept it controlled and clean. His over enunciation of the words still bothered me though. Oh, and his dancing was, umm, interesting. Haha. I was just glad he went upbeat tonight. 7.5/10

3. Casey Abrams
Harder To Breathe
To me, this was probably what he hoped Smells Like Teen Spirit would be like. Very convincing performance. I'm seriously not fond of him doing rock, but I liked how he can switch up styles like that. I thought the beginning when there were no instruments in the background was really good, the arrangement was great and the ending was cute bordering on creepy. Haha. His vocals were pretty decent but it was more staccato instead of flowing. Oh well. 8/10

2. James Durbin
Uprising
Major points for singing Muse! I must say, I appreciated his vision - it's pretty creative and interesting. I loved that he came out from off-stage - a first on American Idol, I think - and he had a drum line, for crying out loud!  Maybe Lee DeWyze will loan him the bagpiper from last year at some point too? Haha. That said, his vocals were a little rough on the extreme edges to a point where I actually thought all the theatrics were there just to "cover up" the lack of vocal talent control. I found his lower notes to be a tad weak and everything became a bit screechy when he went to his high register. Regardless, I thought everything worked well for him. 8.5/10

1. Haley Reinhart
Rolling In The Deep
Haley has been the biggest surprise for me this season! Seriously. I was ready to write her off as another Haley - Scarnato or Vaughn - and instead she's shown that she deserves to go much farther in the competition. This performance was incredible. Sure, the vocals weren't perfect by any means, but that didn't affect the awesomeness of it. Her transition to that crazy falsetto was amazing, her phrasing was absolutely gorgeous and the best parts were when she did her own adlibs. What she can do with her voice is crazy! The judges were annoying though when they gave her a bit of a half-hearted praise after a far more superior performance than, umm, James Durbin? You SHOULD NOT go home after this. 9/10

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wooty woot!Someone else online loves Haley as much as I do! I'm so glad she's starting to get some much-deserved respect!

Anonymous said...

Give Paul some god damn respect, Jesus. You've been bashing him ever since the beginning and now it's just getting annoying. We understand that you don't like him but I'm pretty sure those of us that do like him don't appreciate the rude comments.

He did NOT ruin the song tonight, it was just a horrible song choice in the first place. He didn't fit because the song was for the GIRLS and they had to add him because he was eliminated too. If he had the choice, I'm sure he wouldn't have chosen that song..

The mash-up of all the voices sucked overall anyway.

As for the performances tonight, the only one I had any interest in was Scotty's.. the rest I just kind of glanced at and continued playing with my nephew. So Scotty ftw!

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE Haley! I was insanely excited when I heard she was doing Adele. It can't get any more perfect. Please hurry with the Studio versions!! Need it desperately! <3

MadAboutPia said...

While I'll agree that Haley has improved considerably (a few weeks ago I lumped her in with Paul as being horrible), I wouldn't say her performance was "far more superior" than James'. Top 3 of the night maybe, but I James blew everyone else out of the water, in my opinion.

And did you seriously suggest that James lacked vocal talent? Wow.

I will agree with you on Scotty though. He's just become rather dull and boring to me.

I would also switch Lauren and Stefano. Lauren is consistently good... just not great (though the potential is there for her to be great). I thought Stefano's song choice was poor and it didn't fit his voice.

I also agree with your comment about Randy wanting the over-the-top Jacob back. Please no. He's at least tolerable when he isn't over-the-top.

It was a good show overall though. First time I has a hard time picking a bottom 3. What I finally decided on though was Scotty, Stefano, and Jacob as MY bottom 3... with Stefano going home.

PS. Not so mad about Pia leaving now. If all the rumors are true, she'll should have music out before the show even ends... which means her early departure is a blessing in disguise for her and her fans.

PS2. To the Anonymous poster above me... um, Paul sucks. His voice wouldn't have fit regardless of the song choice. And if the OWNER of this site wants to bash Paul, I think he has the right. If you don't like it, don't come here. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and you may not agree with mine or the DAM's. I guess that's your right (even when your opinion is wrong =) [just kidding]).

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous1: I love Haley since she sang I'm Your Baby Tonight. :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous2: Did you seriously think Paul sounded great on that song? His voice didn't fit the song compared to the girl, therefore he RUINED it because the girls sounded RELATIVELY better until he entered the number. Do you get what I mean? Yes, if they picked a different song, maybe it's a different story, but they didn't so I'm just commenting on what I saw/heard.

Besides, I don't bash people. I'm not a fan of Paul, but I'm not just saying stuff just for the heck of it. I write what I heard and saw. If you don't agree, I'm fine with it. Thanks.

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous3: I'm working on it! :)

DAM THE NATION said...

MadAboutPia: Personally, I think Haley did better vocally. I enjoyed James' but the vocals weren't as great. When I said "far more superior", it's in terms of vocals. James' notes were wonky especially his lower register and his high notes were screechy. But that's just me though.

As for the vocal talent, let me just reword that. Lack of vocal control.

Some Idol Fan said...

Again, the judges gave a JUST okay criticism to Haley. She definitely deserves FAR better after giving that great performance. I must say, that was a good song choice for Haley and she took a risk singing that popular song by Adele. She better move on to the next round heck, she shouldn't be in the bottom 3 tomorrow.

Bottom 3: Stefano, Jacob, Casey.
*i have a bad feeling Haley might be one of the 3
*no chance of Scotty going to bottom 3 at this point
Eliminated: Stefano (please let him go...)

Anonymous said...

I love stefano and haley,both live and iTunes version...awesome job!

Go STALEY!! Much respect!
stefano and haley ftw!

Bottom 3 : jacob,scotty and casey (i hate the end casey performances )
going home : jacob or casey (please hear me Lord Jesus,please,amen)

DAM THE NATION said...

Some Idol Fan: I know right! Isn't that annoying? Haley was so good and they gave her a half-hearted praise. What's up with that? Sigh.

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous4: STALEY! That's cute. HAHA.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous aka Paul's Fan is the usual troll. You know who I'm talking about. I'm sure of it.

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: I figured that one out. Haha. Trolls are everywhere. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Haley was absolutely amazing. I had no idea she would even last this long in the competition but yeah, she's pretty darn amazing. I'm happy that people are finally warming up to he obvious talent. Everybody else were pretty much blah for me...

My bottom 3, stefano, jacob, casey. Jacob really needs to go home but I think it might be Stefano.

The group performance of the ousted finalists was terrible by the way. I love seeing Thia back on the Idol stage again though.

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: The group performance was a hot mess, I agree. But I was all giddy when I saw them back on stage. Poor Pia. I can’t believe she had to sing with that group. Obviously, she's the collateral damage in that group. Sigh. Still can't get over. HAHA.

Anonymous said...

love ur reviews of the preformances but i just gotta point out ur raing system is terrible, using a 0-10 scale for each episode but if you go to the several first live preformances u gave the rating of 6 to some contentants same as this time round when in fact they have improved massivly. best and most talented season so far

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: To be fair, I just gave 6.5 to Scotty this week, but I don't think we saw a MASSIVE improvement from him since Top 24. Did we? If yes, I might've missed it.

I don't think it's terrible. In the first episode, I gave 6-6.5 to Clint Jun Gamboa, Stefano Langone and Paul McDonald. Did I think it's in the same league as Scotty's Swingin'? Yes. But of course, that's fairly relative. :)

Thanks for visiting the site though. I appreciate it.

Sendo said...

america just woke up after haley sang this one

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...