Thursday, February 17, 2011

American Idol 10: Hollywood Week (Groups)

Group Rounds = Drama! Ha.

I'm not complaining though as group rounds has always been all about the drama. What I actually find interesting about Group Day is that it gives glimpses into some of the contestants' personalities and how they handle working with others. Jordan Dorsey, for example, looked completely harmless during his audition, but he turned out to be a complete douche. Haha.

Truth be told, this episode was seriously entertaining - much better than most of the audition episodes. Yes, the drama was a little over-the-top, but there was a couple of great singers in there. I dare say, this was possibly one of the best Hollywood weeks EVER on American Idol.

Only quibble I had was the fact that the judges were definitely giving certain favored contestants an easier time. Just saying.

TOP 40 SPOILER, here.

Anyway, here's my review on the people who got featured on today's episode:

DISCLAIMER: None as of this moment. Haha. 

Pia Toscano, Allesandra Guercio, and Brielle Von Hugel
This was surprisingly good! They worked well together, the choreography was entertaining and their harmony was lovely. I think Pia Toscano totally owned that song compared to the other two. The 15-year old lost her breath in a line and the last one is kinda pitchy. Good enough though.

Jordan Dorsey, Robbie Rosen and others
Jordan's voice doesn't really match his ego. He's so much of a diva, it's almost nauseating. Haha. To me,  he’s probably going to go as far as Todrick Hall did from last season. I can somewhat understand leaving a group, but no need to be a b*tch about it. Robbie Rosen isn’t hitting this group performance as well as his other Hollywood performance. Competent enough to get by.

Adrian Michael, Laura Turner and others
Adrian sounded ok, though a bit generic. I did not like Lauren Turner's take on Forget You though. Yes, she has a powerful voice and a great range but her phrasing was off and her runs were shaky. Sorry.

Tiffany Rios and Jessica Yantz
Disturbing! Haha. To be honest, I didn't think Jessica was that bad, but Tiffany, on the other hand, sucked! It was painful. Oh, and this b*tch doesn't have the figure for that skirt. Haha.

Jovanny Barreto, Kevin Campos, Jorge Gabrielle and Karen Rodriguez
Lyrical fail on Jovanny's part. Ha! This is like a bad boy band. Minus Karen - who I thought sounded good - this whole performance was uninteresting to me. Sad.

Lauren Alaina and company
I'm sick of Lauren - such a kiss ass! I mean, having Steven on stage was really unnecessary. I guess, Steven Tyler will be performing with Lauren on all of her performances. Haha. But seriously, the other girls were just as good as Lauren. WTF! I dare say, she's not the cream of the crop despite how they are attempting to spin it like she is.

Colton Dixon, Matt Dillard and others
Trainwreck! Matt was horrendous and I'm not a fan of Colton's voice and his epileptic seizure dance moves. Next!

CUT: Janelle Arthur, Alyson Jados, Caitlin Koch, Paris Tassin, Emily Ann Reed, Adrienne Beasly and one of the Gutierrez brothers.

Keeira Lyn Ford, Ashley Sullivan, Ahsthon Jones and one more
Wow! That was a surprisingly tight group all over - spot on harmony and fun choreogrpahy. Ashthon actually stood out in this performance with that Beyonce-like swagger. Oh, and I didn't expect Ashley to make it further than Paris Tassin or even Devyn Rush!

James Durbin, Emma Henry, Danny Pate, Caleb Johnson and John Jordan
Such a clusterf*ck! James Durbin makes me want to stick a spoon in my eye. Seriously. He's such a show off and, yes, he's making me appreciate Adam Lambert for the fact that Adam actually has talent. As for the others? No comment.

Keona Evans, Jalen Harris, Sarina-Joi Crowe, DeAndre Brackensick
Ok. The tenagers were actually pretty good, but it was DeAndre who just killed me with that falsetto. James Durbin could learn control from this guy. Seriously.

Steve Clawson Corey Levoy, Hollie Cavanagh and others
WOW! I CANNOT believe they put Corey through after that debacle. I'm not impressed with Hollie too. Her notes were a little wonky.

Dan Noguchi, Lara Johnston, Julie Zorrilla, Melissa Lucas and Casey Abrams
Honestly? I thought they sounded good. I liked Dan's tone, Lara was good and so was Casey. Julie, for some weird reason, rubs me the wrong way but I know she has potential. I'm just not sure why only Julie and Casey made the cut. Ugh!

Da'quela Payne, Matthew Nuss, Naima Adedapo and Jacob Lusk
They were ok. That is all.

Caleb Hawley, Devyn Rush, Chris Medina, Carson Higgins and Eryn Kelly
Once again, Medina proved to be substandard and overrated. His voice simply isn't strong enough and his backstory is keeping him in, point blank. Carson, I thought, had soooo much stage presence and personality, and I think his voice is more than adequate. His pitch was great and his inflections are dead on. Caleb was decent, but I was sad to see Devyn go. Really, they put Corey Levoy through after he forgot the lyrics and then cut Devyn? That's stupid!

Denise Jackson, Stevie Cain, Natalie Hanson, Brett Loewenstern and Jacee Badeaux
Jacee had no stage presence whatsoever and his voice was so timid. Plus, he made up words for that song. Denise Jackson (?) was probably the best in the group. I like Brett Loewenstern’s voice on this song, but I think it was kind of weak for him.

Clint Gamboa, Scott McCreery, Monique Delos Santos and Frances Cootz
I know. I know. Clint came over as mean with all this Jacee story, but he sounded really great. His range was amazing and the runs he did were pretty impressive. Monique was the other person who stood out in this group for me. As for Scott, I'm pretty convinced that he can do something other than country.

Chelsee Oaks, Jacqueline Dunford and Rob Bolin
Their story.. fascinates me! Haha. This performance was bad - especially Jacqueline. Really. How in the hell did Jacqueline make it through? I would have much preferred Rob over her shrieking. Actually, even with Rob messing up the words, he sounded better than those two chicks put together.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...